What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YuccaDo1713 First Flower Photographs

The photographs below are the first to be published of this Pinguicula, known by the code name YuccaDo1713 (ABG 97-1713 Yucca Do 60-19-031695 to give its full code). For a full discussion of the YuccaDo plants see the article by Travis Wyman (Pyro on the CP forums) at A World of Pinguicula http://perso.club-internet.fr/cpartrat/Pages/yucca_do_complex.htm

I'm not qualified or expert enough to judge whether or not this is a new species, or a white flowered form of a known miniature mexican, like P. esseriana or P. jaumavensis for example. Although I grow most of the likely suspects, and it doesn't look the same as my plants, I only grow a single clone of each which doesn't take into account natural variation in these species. Any opinions on the ID, expert  or other, welcome.

YuccaDo1713as.jpg

YuccaDo1713bs.jpg

Close up of throat, to show purple veins.

YuccaDo1713d.jpg

And from behind

YuccaDo1713c.jpg

Larger, more detailed files can be found of the first two images here:

http://www.cpuk.org/~vicbrown/images/Pinguicula/YuccaDo1713a.jpg

http://www.cpuk.org/~vicbrown/images/Pinguicula/YuccaDo1713b.jpg

Vic

One thing I would like to note is that the rosettes of this plant do develope a red/pink tint under good light. Taking this into account I do not think this plant is an 'alba' form (i.e. pigment free) but I do not discount that it could be a pale flower form.

I have noticed flowers coming up on my clones of this plant as well as the very similar Yucca Do 1717. I will add my pics here if there is anything noticably different between mine and Vic's

My plants of 1717 and 1713 are also starting to flower along with esseriana, gracilis, ehlersiae(couple forms including alba). I will be sure to compare flowers and post pics.

It doesn't look anything like my P. ehlersiae 'alba' (or other forms of this species), my plants are a different shape, with larger, more rounded lobes, have no purple veining and are much less hairy in the throat.

ehlersiaealba.jpg

P. gracilis looks nothing like it, the lower lobe is much larger than the others;

gracilis.jpg

The most likely candidates are P. esseriana (left) or P. jaumavensis (right), and I'm leaning towards a very pale flowered P. jaumavensis with 1713, but I am not a plant taxonomist. Some experts consider these two to be the same species, which if so shows considerable variability.

essjaum.jpg

Vic

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Vic, this is what my Pinguicula Yucca Do 1713 look like:

p_yucca_1713.jpg

p_yucca_1713_tray.jpg

I seem to be able to grow and propagate them readily, yet blooming them still eludes me. I recently read where someone, I think it was "epbb" was only able to bloom certain Mexican Pinguicula once he reduced their light levels. I guess I will need to try this. I notice that the plant in the background of your flower is an overall green color, which, to me, indicates lower light levels. What illumination would you say yours are growing in?</span>

Doesn't look like my gracilis or ehlersiae alba either after comparing the flowers to the photos. Has anyone flowered the the alba form of esseriana?

I haven't seen a photo of the white-flowered form of P. esseriana on Bob Z's CP Photo Finder. The only picture I've seen is P. esseriana 'white-flower', it doesn't really have the level of detail to make comparisona with the 1713 flower though.

Vic

Cripes Joe. That is gorgeous! It's like a "sqamosa" effect with the red and green reversed.I wish I had something to trade for one.
What are you growing that one in?

Regards,

Joe

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>The one in the 2 inch pot is planted in 50/50 mixture of pumice and coral, very small pieces.</span>

This is the reply I gave on CPUK, where I've also posted thes photos (trying to share with the max. number of growers). I don't want to give people the impression that I'm ignoring your request for my growing conditions.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nice red coloured leaves Joseph, but your plants, under lights, are all in summer growth.

I think flowering with 1713 and many other Pings is seasonal and it is important to have seasonal variation in daylength and temperatures to ensure flowering. Both Pyro's and CP2k's plants are also pushing up flower buds from winter rosettes at the moment. I grow YuccaDo 1713 and 1717, along with many other smaller mexicans on a cool (min. temp. 10C / 50F) W-facing windowsill in my study and they thrive, flowering from winter rosettes at the moment; P. ehlersiae (4 forms), P. jaumavensis, P. rotundiflora and P. esseriana (this one flowers all year for me though). In my conservatory, which receives more sunlight and cooler temperatures are even more species flowering from winter growth, as they do in nature.

So they are not getting much light at the moment, 2-3 hours weak afternoon sun if they are lucky, much more in summer.

Cheers

Vic

I can't get pumice in these here parts
sad.gif

Regards,

Joe

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Joe,

I recommend checking with any persons associated with a local cacti/succulent growers association in your area. That is where I found my source. Even here in Tucson, Arizona.

One of the things I like most about it is that once it is thoroughly wet, it sinks (does not float) in water. For me, perlite always seems to be waiting for me to water wrong and up, up, and away it would go.</span>

I can find pumice at OSH here in CA, but it is much more expensive than the perlite, which I get in a large 3cuft bag for around $11.

Nice pics! Pingman those rosettes are beuatiful I like the redish brown\green contrast.

Something else about this plant I would like to note that may assist in an ID. The leaves on the winter rosettes behave almost like gemmae (at least on my plants.) The slightest bump or even a drop of water will dislodge leaves which then tumble to the media. So far every leaf that has dropped has "sprouted" Not sure if any of the other minis do this but it is the first example I have seen of it.

Most of my 'minis' do this, especially P. esseriana. I have two small bowls, crammed with this species on my dining room windowsill and leaves are frequently knocked off, they happily form plantlets on the windowsill, with no substrate or extra humidity etc. Others which are very readily lose leaves from their fragile winter rosettes and readily form plantlets include P. jaumavensis, so I don't think this characteristic will help much with the ID.

Vic

Oh well then, I guess nevermind on that then.

Hey Vic,

Beautiful pic of this YuccaDo1713!! I was really intrigued by all those hairs, since all the esseriana and jamauvensis I've seen here in Mexico are only slightly hairy around the yellow markings on the lower lip. Otherwise, they're as smooth as ehlersiae.

But what most intrigued me was the size of the spur -- very short! At least comparing to the ehlersiae/ esseriana/ jamauvensis I've seen so far in Mexico. Since my cultivation experience with these is nearly null, I can't speak for all the forms in cultivation.

I'll surely be keeping my eyes on these characters in the field when I go up to San Luis Potosi...

Take care,
Fernando

Hey guys,

I just saw more ehlersiae/ esseriana/ jamauvensis this past weekend, I'll soon send pics and another postcard to Eric Partrat's website.

Anyways, I saw plants which I believe would be closest to jamauvensis, especially the one in Vic's picture a few messages back (next to the esseriana flower). The flowers were EXTREMELY variable, but usually had some veining like your pic Vic, plus the hairyness too. The spurs were shorter than at other sites I'd seen ehlersiae/ esseriana, but NOT as short as the YuccaDo plant which started this thread. That's still a really strange little bugger to me, with its short spur and all...

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Here is the new postcard of Fernando.

POSTCARD 10

BTW, if you had enought of Mexico
wink.gif
you can also fly to Colombia for a new postcard of Sebastian with P. elongata in wild
cool.gif

Pinguicula elongata

Back