What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping seeds

i just got seeds from the ICPS seed bank today
biggrin.gif

i ordered a P. ionantha and i was wondering if anyone grew this species.
its on ESA and i dont want to mess up germinating it
any tips and tricks on how to be successful germinating this ping?
Thanks in advanced
Hellz

I have P. ionantha and have had terrible luck trying to germinate it from seed.  I've given many people on this forum seeds earlier this year, and as far as I know there is 0% germination rate from the few people I've asked recently.  

My P. lusitanica has had close to 100% germination rate in the same pot in a matter of a few weeks... both are warm-temperate.  Go figure.

I think Pinguiculaman has had good luck on this.  

-Homer

lol i looked at that site spec,
i CANT believe he got his ioantha at lowes
there on ESA for crying out loud
o well, it cool for him he got them
i just hope myn germinate
i sowed them on half peat half sand
wish me luck,
Hellz

WOO HOO
i germinated some!!!
they are really tiny when they just come from seed,
i see 3-4 of them in the seed tray
biggrin.gif

not 2 bad 4 a beginer eh?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Yes, I believe at least one of my Pinguicula ionantha was also obtained from a "Home Depot" hardware store.

Since I began using freeze-dried mosquito larvae to feed my CP, the USA Pinguicula have continued to bloom and whenever I fertilize the flowers, they set seed. I recently donated some to the ICPS seedbank.

They germinate easily when they are fresh, on the surface of moist peat. They are very tiny and do best when kept constantly moist and in strong light. Not enough light and they are very prone to damping-off. I have discovered that if I place a minute quantity of freeze-dried mosquito larvae onto the surface of their tiny leaves, they grow much more quickly.</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 01 2004,9:41)]lol i looked at that site spec,
i CANT believe he got his ioantha at lowes
there on ESA for crying out loud
o well, it cool for him he got them
i just hope myn germinate
i sowed them on half peat half sand
wish me luck,
Hellz
ESA?

E.S.A stands for THE ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT.

Sadly Homer, mine have not germinated. Must learn the nack.

I recieved some seed from Joseph as a gift.  And planted it a few days later on a 50/50 mix peat/sand  (washed well)  I put it under good light in a zip lock baggie and didn't really pay any attention to it.   It was planted on 5-15-04 and checked today...   This is what I found.
pionanthaseedlings.jpg

here is a larger file of the above picture if you want to see it.  I counted just under 30 seedlings...   That's not bad for a beginner.  
smile_m_32.gif

http://adnedarn.home.comcast.net/largeionanthaseedlings.jpg
Enjoy,
Andrew

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Andrew,

Good job on germinating the Pinguicula ionantha seed. Now the hard part begins, growing them to flowering size to begin the cycle over again.</span>

wow...
all those little p. ioanthas...
i only got 3 to germinate...
did u overhead water your seeds?
i did that to myn, so i think, thats y only a few germinated...
o well, live and learn
biggrin.gif

Hellz

Joseph, Thanks! I'm gonna give it a shot. Soon I'll wean them out of the baggie and feed them as you recomend.

HellzDungeon, actually I never watered them... I washed my peat and sand seperatly. Then once I mixed them together at the rate of 1:1 I ran water through the pot from the top till the water came out the bottom clear (that is why the top of the pot is peat... that floated above the sand...) I then let this drip out... Sowed the sead on the top, put the pot in a plastic baggie, set the baggie about 6 inches from the light fixtures. And there they are.
Andrew

Back