What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of the one Pinguicula 'Aphrodite' I kept to grow as large as it wanted to.

First photo is in a 2 inch pot:
p_Aphrodite_AB2.jpg

Afterwards in a 4 inch pot:
p_Aphrodite_12Jul04.jpg
</span>

Thats a beautiful plant P. Man
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>This goes to show that 100% granulated peat moss can be a successful media, though a somewhat expensive one.</span>

Wow, your P. 'Aphrodite' is a lot redder than mine is! Mine is under a 400w MH light, and grows very well, but it's pure green. I noticed this on my P. moranensis as well. Once I moved that one under fluorescents, it took on a nice blush. Do you grow under fluorescents, or real sunlight?

Capslock

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I grow under fluorescent lights, very close to multiple tubes and with a 15 hour photoperiod.</span>

Ya know, I'm 'this' close to scrapping the MH light entirely. It seems to bake my plants a bit, reducing humidity. This especially hurts the neps that are on that shelf. And it doesn't give as good a color as the fluorescents. The only reason I keep it around is that it's the only way I can get anything higher than our cool San Francisco temperatures. (It hasn't gotten higher than the 60s here in weeks.)

Capslock

I concur with that Capslock. Even using a humidifier 24/7 in the winter in an unheated grow room the issues of heat build up and humidity are unavoidable. My plants grow better under the HID lighting, but the colors are not nearly as nice. So, I have largly abandoned the HID lighting, except in the deep winter months when I use it more to heat with. I would have to run a 1500 Watt heater anyways so I figure the light is a plus, but I still run the flourescents for the bulk of my collection. The problem with flourescents is the light value drops off more rapidly with age , or so it seems. After 6 months there is a discernable difference in plant growth and color. and then I start feeling like I should change them.

Joe,

Why did you say "exmail reproductive organve medium" for pure peat?

Joe

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I referred to peat as "successful" because this plant and many other Mexican Pinguicula I grow are growing quite nicely in it; and "somewhat expensive" because it is often considered to be environmentally expensive. See:</span>PDF File about long term effects of peat harvesting

Back