What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. "apassionada" - starman's pics.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Starman has asked me to post these pics of his plant. i've never heard of it.
I looked on the cp database to see if it existed-no matches, i searched for it online-no pages or pics found.

Image(073).jpg

Image(074).jpg

He tells me it was created by a man named Stan Lampard, he got it from Suzy from CPUK,it's parents are P. gigantea 'alba' x P. moctezumae, and apparently it's a cultivar.

I'm crap when it comes to pings, but it looks alot like my P. 'Aphrodite'

auctually, i take that back, i really didn't look at the pics properly, it's leaves are more upright than my P. 'Aphrodite' it looks as if the leaves havn't matured enough to bend over, however.

by the way, if you read this starman, your soil looks very inappropriate for mexican pings.

Its pure peat, I have mexican pinguicula growing fine in that medium(suzy also grows all of hers in pure peat)

how many pings do you know that grow in pure peat in mexico?

Oh yeah, the ping you see by the Apassionada(the plant with redish leaves)
is Pinguicula laueana(CP2) x emarginata, another rare hybrid.
Pinguicula x 'Apassionada' is the bromilad looking plant with bright green leaves.
smile.gif

Dino

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 28 2004,9:37)]how many pings do you know that grow in pure peat in mexico?
How many pings do you get in Mexico growing in perlite and vermiculite? You dont find either of those in mexico.
Most of the potting materials that ppl use, like perlite, are not found in the wild.

Anyhow, we are going of the topic!
smile_l_32.gif

What do you think, everybody?
Dino
smile.gif

Mexi-Pings will grow in any number of media so if peat works fr Dino than that is what he should use. PingMan does the same thing. I use a crushed colar based media as does ABG. ANd I know of a couple growers who use regular old potting soil. The point is there is no "right" or "wrong" there is just what works for you.

Dino,

You plants are looing pretty good. Watch that 'Apasionada' though as it will get really big. I speak from experience.

Also, I believe that plant is not a cultivar, to the best of my knowledge Stan (the guy who bred it) never registered it, he just gave it that name.

Thanks Pyro!
smile_m_32.gif
How big will it get exactly?
I only got them all this morning, they were bare root as well!
I got 2 other pings as well, Pinguicula emarginata and Pinguicula jaumavensis.

The other ping that you see(the reddish plant) is Pinguicula laueana(CP2) x emarginata, another rare hybrid.
smile.gif

P.x 'Apassionada' is the bromilia looking plant with bright green leaves.
smile.gif

The ABG duplicate of my plant has hit 10" diameter. My plant is ranking in at 7" (and it looks kinda funny in its 2" pot)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ July 28 2004,10:58)]The ABG duplicate of my plant has hit 10" diameter. My plant is ranking in at 7" (and it looks kinda funny in its 2" pot)
smile_l_32.gif
Do you mean the rossete, or the leaf size?
Dino

Nice looking plants you got there Starman.
smile.gif
I hope yours get as big as Pyro's.

Nice of Suzy to share her plants with you too. Sounds like you got some really good ones!

Yes I do! She gave me 4:
Pinguicula jaumavensis
Pinguicula emarginata
Pinguicula laueana(CP2) x emarginata
Pinguicula x 'Apassionada'

I actually dont want it to get as big as Pyros, I dont have
a greenhouse, I only ave windowsills!
But, suzy has just told me that hers always get 6 inches long and 1
inch thick, so Im hoping!
I will get Clint(Justlikeapill) to post a picture of my P. emarginata and my P. jaumavensis when P. emarginata flowers(P. emarginata flower is about to open, it has a flower stalk with a big bud on it)

In return, Im sending suzy a goody box back!
smile_m_32.gif

Thank you for the kind comments, PAK!
smile_m_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ July 28 2004,12:19)]
smile_l_32.gif
 Do you mean the rossete, or the leaf size?
Dino
Total rosette size.

Don't sweat it getting too big, the ABG plant is in ideal conditions and that is why it is so big.

No, no, I want it to get smaller, not bigger!
laugh.gif

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Good looking plants. Hope they always grow well for you.

I find that very high levels of "cool white" fluorescent light tends to produce more compact growth, for example; this Pinguicula agnata X gypsicola:

p_agnataXgypsicola_AA1.jpg
</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>BTW Dino,
An "X" is no longer used in front of the names of specific clones to designate their hybrid origin. The "X" is only used in hybrid formula; such as P. a x P. b or ((P. a x P. b) x P. c). And single quotes are only used for valid, registered cultivars, such as Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'. Cultivar names also begin with a capital letter. If their are any other names, such as descriptive information or cultivar names not having been submitted for registration, we either use double quotes, "Apassionada" or some other form of punctuation to set the informal information asside from the formal information.</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ July 29 2004,1:09)]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>BTW Dino,
An "X" is no longer used in front of the names of specific clones to designate their hybrid origin. The "X" is only used in hybrid formula; such as P. a x P. b or ((P. a x P. b) x P. c). And single quotes are only used for valid, registered cultivars, such as Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'. Cultivar names also begin with a capital letter. If their are any other names, such as descriptive information or cultivar names not having been submitted for registration, we either use double quotes, "Apassionada" or some other form of punctuation to set the informal information asside from the formal information.</span>
Does it really matter if I usae the x or not?
confused.gif

Um, justlikeapill posted the pic and the topic title, so he didnt put in the capital letter..............

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ July 29 2004,12:05)]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Good looking plants. Hope they always grow well for you.

I find that very high levels of "cool white" fluorescent light tends to produce more compact growth, for example; this Pinguicula agnata X gypsicola:

p_agnataXgypsicola_AA1.jpg
</span>
Thanks!
smile.gif
Um, Im growing it as a window plant though......
Good looking plant you have there! But, I prefer green colour in the leaves...................

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>It is most likely then that by giving it the lower light necessary for green leaves, it will expand to be quite a larger plant.</span>

yep, i made the mistake.

pingman-i've never seen a ping that "dewey". is that a genetic trait of your plant or am i doing something wrong?

Back