What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'Sethos' x gypsicola

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a recent photo of the plant; Pinguicula 'Sethos' x Pinguicula gypsicola. I originally received this plant from Pyro. Thanks Pyro, it is a very nice plant. This image doesn't do it justice, because it has been away from its normal quota of "cool white" fluorescent light for almost a week now. The leaf colors are fading, though it is still growing and blooming strong. It has two flowers and they have each taken their own crown as flowering has bifurcated the apical meristem. This one is presently planted in 100% pure granulated peat moss.

Sethos_x_gypsicola_AA1.jpg
</span>

where do you get granulated peat?

Fernando,

The gypsicola parent is pretty obvious in the leaf on my plant, perhaps the different growth conditions that PingMan utilizes account for that. THe flower definitly holds close to 'Sethos' though

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Natural peat moss is a spongy yet solid substance of varying density. Most all peat sold for garden use (at least in the USA) is dried and ground into small granules, hence; granulated. At least one other country I know of generally has their peat product processed into 1/2 inch size chunks.</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Fernando,
Yes, about the only noticeable Pinguicula gypsicola trait is that the leaves are somewhat narrower and more numerous than the Pinguicula 'Sethos' parent. I have yet to see a different leaf form, though, that might not happen until I subject some of them to more natural conditions.

Under the same conditions my Pinguicula gypsicola seem to have good vegetative growth, however, they cycle between Summer and Winter leaf forms seemingly randomly and though they have 3-4 inch leaves and appear mature enough to flower, it has been several years and they have never flowered yet.</span>

oooh, i never knew that pingman! the peat i use is like sawdust, i so i guess granulated peat is just regular peat, right?

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Yes, the peat moss that is the appearance of sawdust is actually what is considered granulated.</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Fernando,
I am attempting to self this plant. Since the parents have such differences, it will be interesting to see what the F2 generation does.</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>No, I'm afraid it wasn't me that created this hybrid. I am just planning to attempt creating an F2 generation from it. Don't even know if I will succeed yet with that effort.
----
Pyro,
Do you know who created this pretty little plant?</span>

Joseph,

Can't say I know who bred this guy but I can ask my source, he probably knows

Hi everyone,

A couple years ago, I received some of these plants from the guys at Bestcarnivorousplants. I know some other people who received this hybrid from BCP. I am guessing that Jan Flisek created these.

Back