What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calciferous sand

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
On a jaunt to PetSmart last week to "socialize" new pup Ollie, I took a stroll down the aisle for fish and reptiles. I saw bags of what appeared to be some kind of calcium sand. And unfortunately I can't remember the name of it now. It seemed to be for lizard tanks and came in an assortment of colors (including plain white). I use crushed coral with some of the mexi-pings and I was wondering if this sand would be good...being not so chunky. Has anyone seen this stuff or tried using it with pings?

PAK,
I too have seen this sand in PetSmart and wondered about using it. Haven't yet though. If you try it, let us know how it works.

I use bone aid calci-sand made by T-Rex. The three Pings I grow (Yucca Do 1714, 1715, & 1717) have responded very well. They have all doubled in size in the two months that I've had them.

Chris

How about using regular silica and watering with tap water
smile.gif

I am planning to try this with some common species and hybrids. I remember that PinguiculaMan posted about the esseriana plants and tap water.

Hi Chris,
You mentioned that your plants doubled in size, but is this due to the sand itself? P.cyclosecta is a fast grower and I would not be surprised if it doubled in size every 1 month when it is young. Most Mexican Pinguicula species tend to grow well on a variety of mixes and their growth is more influenced by lighting, temperature, air circulation etc. Just seems costly to spend extra money for treated sand...

I'm new to pings so I can't tell ya if growth is from the sand or not. I think the point is that it has not had a negative effect on the plants. I bought the sand a couple years ago for one of the reptiles and never used it. I've read about others using crushed Corel, since calci-sand is made of crushed shell, thought this was the prefect opportunity to do something with it.
biggrin.gif

Chris

is it aragonite sand?

in reefing, we dose out tanks with something called kalkwasser. this is just limewater. we make it by mixing a tablespoon or two with a gallon on water, then mix it up. when it's dissolved, we siphon the undisolved lime from the bottom and then drip it into our tanks overnight to keep the ca/ak levels in check.

what IF you wattered mexican pings with lime water? you can pay big bucks with kalkwasser mix at the petstore, OR buy pickling lime atvthe grocery store for next to nothing-same thing.

I'll go check it out. I have to take the little monster there anyway. I'll look more closely at a bag and see what description it might have. I was mainly wondering if it was adulerated with anything unsavory to pings. I think I'll buy a bag and give it a try (will wash it well first). Crushed coral is so chunky, if it works, I think I'd like sand better. (Although I do like the little tiny sea shells you find in it.
smile.gif
Thats a girlie thing to say, I know. lol

Back