What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula cyclosecta

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is a recent photograph of my "mother" Pinguicula cyclosecta plant a few weeks after a bout of flowering which split the meristem.

Pot: White plastic, 3 inch (7.5 cm) square x 4 (10 cm)inch tall

Media: 100% granular peat moss with a vertical layer of pumice through the center of the pot.

Water: Year-round, 1/2 - 1 inch (1.2 - 2.5 cm) in plastic tray.

Light: Year-round, 15 hours/day of "cool white" fluorescent lamps.

p_cyclosecta_AA1_web.jpg

<span style='color:blue'>What do yours look like and how do you grow them?</span>

Once again, Pingman, that-is-amazing. I don't even have a cyclosecta.
biggrin.gif

beautiful- it's so pretty it looks like a painting. it looks like lavendar velvet.

I like the Purple tinge.

Hi,

All i can offer at the moment is a flower picture.

cyclosecta_PING9_003_12062004tn.jpg

higher resolution

I keep mine exactly like my other mexican Pinguicula. This means in tray and warm during the summer and nearly completely dry and colder during winter.

Christian

Updated image of the same pot of Pinguicula cyclosecta, the two oldest flowers are starting to fade a bit.

p_cyclosecta_m1.jpg

Hi Joseph, very nice plant and thanks for the updated picture. I have the YuccaDo 1714 version from you which is still in the same pot as which you gave it to me. (Vermiculite and Coral) It is still growing very well... In fact, it has since split into two plants of equal size... (If they were alone, each would use up the 2 inch pot) It's only flowered once wich gave it the division.
Good growing!
Andrew

Joseph,

Nice plant as always. I can't find pumice here in Michigan, have you tried any other media for the core of your potting mix? I can find lava rocks, the decorative red kind but I am unsure of the PH. I am not as brave as you so I am not as willing to experiment. Too few preciuos pings as well.

Thanks
Glenn

My best technique and advice: Propagate to have spares to experiment with.

Here are another couple of Pinguicula cyclosecta, (Yucca Do 1714) growing in a tray with an inch of silica sand/pumice/charcoal/aquatic plant soil; 1::1::1::1.

I keep the water level at the media surface. I allow a volunteer "rush" to grow in the corner. I keep its leaves trimmed back. I just thinned out about 10 others that were crowding this tray and am using their leaves to propagate more.

p_cyclosecta_t2_web.jpg

Glenn, We have no naturally occurring pumice here in FL either but I found that some nurseries and landscaping businesses sell lava rock to use in landscaping projects.  I bought a basketball size piece (too small for them to use) for a buck.  Use an old wood rasp or even another rough rock to rub it into a small enough grit to use for your Pings.  I have been grinding on it for about a year and still have ½ of it left.
Joseph, I hope I am correct about pumice being a product of lava rock?
confused.gif

Apparently there are many different forms of pumice, and many are useable for horticultural purposes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 29 2005,1:16)]Apparently there are many different forms of pumice, and many are useable for horticultural purposes.
Hmm would crushed red lava rock be sufficient for pings as I have been using it for drainage on my Darlingtonia's to success.

If you have a few propagations available for testing purposes, I'd give it a try.

Back