What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

One of the P. "John Rizzi" plants that I have has some new leaves struggling to grow. The new leaves that are growing on the biggest plant is starting to brown and shrivel up. It's had great humidity and great sunlight. It may still be recovering from shipping stress but it seemed to be doing well until now. Any ideas on what might be happening?

Um, its a mexican Pinguicula, so humidity shouldnt be really high......

starman, i grew all my mexican pings in a terrarium with humidity over 80% and they grew my leaps and bounds. now i've put them outside untill things get too cold for them just because i can. this proves that mexican pings can and will grow perfectly fine in high humidity.

Oh no! Does this mean that it might have that disease?! Or maybe it's just getting too much water. I have it on the tray system as well for fear that the water will run out while I am gone. I only keep a half inch of water in there though.

It might have the disease.
smile_h_32.gif
Dig it up and check the rootball.
If the roots and the centre of the crown is brown, then it has the disease.

I'm gonna wait to dig it up cuz it still IS suffering from shipping stress and the heat has been immense lately. Here's a pic of it. It it's not a good pic at all but it's better than nothing.
PJohnRizziAug29.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 29 2004,5:01)]I'm gonna wait to dig it up cuz it still IS suffering from shipping stress and the heat has been immense lately. Here's a pic of it. It it's not a good pic at all but it's better than nothing.
PJohnRizziAug29.JPG
It lives in Deserts, so heat isnt a pronblem.

I guess it is the disease then. There ARE 3 plants in that pot. The biggest one is the one that may have the disease. Hopefully it doesn't spread.

that's grizzly....

Uh, Starman. Have you not read Fernando's postcards? Seems to me many of them grow in mixed forests of Pine and Oak trees. Most of the average temperature charts at
http://www.pinguicula.org
seem to indicate that the average temperatures are in the low 20's Celcius (70's Fahrenheit). And, as an example the area Pinguicula laueana comes from has quite a bit of rain from, May until the middle of November.

yeah, they dont grow in deserts. not all of mexico is the desert and not all deserts are warm.

For example, check out this little article about the climate of Oaxaca, Mexico.

Oaxaca Weather

is that pronounced wahakka?

Yes, I believe that is exactly how it is pronounced. I just checked with a Spanish speaking co-worker.

I have been growing the 'John Rizzi' plant in an unheated greenhouse in the shade of some tall Sarracenia. The day temp can get to about 80F and at night it drops to the low 50F. The plants are growing fast and look great. No signs of stress or disease.

oh good, i was afraid it was really pronounced oaks-ayca...

I don't think my P. John Rizzi has that disease. I think the leaf was browning because they plant was hardly sticking in the soil. It was pretty much uprooted. I secured it in the soil better now so I'm hoping that it's gonna look better.

Back