What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

Hi, BobZ gave me a P. 'John Rizzi' and I really don't know much about it. Savage Garden doesn't help much. What kind of conditions does it grow in? Does it go dormant? Just give me the basic things that I need to grow this little guy efficiently.

Wow, this plant must be like...a phantom or something if no one knows anything about it either. I'll just have to search the internet like crazy til I find something. Unless someone DOES know about them. Don't hesitate to post. Thanks anyway, ^_^

Its a mexican ping.......
You have to look more closely in Savage garden!
It has a dry winter dormacy.
Dino
cool.gif

no it doesn't starman. it forms non carnivorous leaves, doesn't go dormany, and really isn't bone dry.

I meant that you have to keep it drier......
I always say cold winter dormacy or dry winter dormacy.
biggrin.gif

Its simple really:

Put it on a windowsill or terrarium, wait for the tray to dry out completely before watering, not too much water or you risk root rot, keep drier in winter, and onky water a little bit around once a week.

Oh....I read the part in savage garden about P. John Rizzi many times and it must not say that directly cuz I didn't catch it. It says here..."In my California Greenhous in the summer, hummingbirds frequently make a beeline for our flowering MEXICAN butterworts." I didn't catch that part. >.< Oh no! that means I have it in the wrong soil mix and everything. This is great....I have it in Peat and Sand I think. Anyway now I'll just have to read as much as I can about Mexican butterworts. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

i have mine in 2/1 sand/peat, but you can grow them in lots of stuff.

mines in the same thing...just reversed..I think

I have my mexican pings in 2/1 peat sand or in pure peat...........and they are thriving!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 24 2004,6:00)]I have my mexican pings in 2/1 peat sand or in pure peat...........and they are thriving!
smile_m_32.gif
really, even your laueana?
smile_m_32.gif

Why not, I grow all of my Mexican Pinguicula in 100% granulated peat moss, kept "WET", year-'round and I have no problems with them rotting, even Pinguicula gypsicola and Pinguicula laueana.

I am also a strong believer in propagation (very few of my Pinguicula are represented in my culture by only one specimen). So, presently many plants of each type are now growing in a variety of media besides peat moss.

Light is the answer. . . Pinguicula, especially Mexican species and hybrids definitely exhibit a different phenotype when grown with abundant light. With somewhat less light I have whitnessed gorgeous plants quickly revert to all-green, insipid forms --- though with abundand flowers (Perhaps a last ditch effort to reproduce due to non-optimal environmental conditions?).

Hmm, my laueana rotted away from too much water, and it wasnt really wet. I think its because yours are in a terrarium. Seriously though, Im VERY surprised the gypsicola didnt rot, somebodys rotted away, and it was damp, not wet.

Don't ya think that if "water" were the culprit so many growers, even experienced growers, make it out to be, that I might have noticed it causing "rot" problems with my Mexican Pinguicula? I've grown and propagated literally thousands of Mexican Pinguicula over more than 6 years now. No rot from being too wet. Maybe rot is caused by being too wet and too dark, or just too darn dark (period). I cannot say that I have not lost a single plant, but I can honestly say I can count on the fingers of one hand, those I have lost.
smile.gif

Perhaps, before we go blaming "water" for Pinguicula rot, we might want to examine other environmental factors that could play a part in the Wet = Rot hypothesis.

I can't imagine that they grow where it is all that "dark". After all their homeland is in the mountains of southern Mexico. Even on north slopes there must be quite a degree of incidental light. And, air movement, and drainage, perhaps there is a bit of both to explain why they grow where they do.

No terraria, never had any terraria. Just shallow plastic trays.

Is it because you live in a deset, thats where mexican pings usually grow so that much water doesnt bother them in that climate. But I do know if they are kept wet here they rot away! And Im speking from experience, and from what I have heard from other ppl(P.gypsicola rotted away on an expert)
So I think its to do with the climate.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

I grow my Jizza, and others, in 2/1/1 peat, sand, perlite and unless I cook them in a serious heatwave (never again are they to be left unattended) they do very well.

--------------- ----------------
My growing conditions (no desert in the grow room):
--------------- ---------------
- I grow mine in a wide variety of media.

- They are in a room inside a building that is air-conditioned with refrigerated air. They have no idea that there is a "desert" outside. They do not feel the desert air, they do not see the desert sun, and the desert animals do not munch on them or use them to line their nests.

- I provide supplemental humidification using purified water delivered as an ultrasonic mist that is dispersed by a small electric fan.

- I provide constantly moving air by using a high-velocity auto-pivoting fan.

- I keep the plants in shallow plastic trays.

- I maintain about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of water in the trays at nearly all times. (Every once in awhile the trays dry out, but the pots never get dry.)

- Most are potted in 2 inch square plastic pots. As many as 18 can be squeezed together in each tray.

- Most are kept within 2-3 inches of multiple 40 watt, 4 foot, cool white fluorescent lamps - about 4-8 per shelf. The lights are on timers for 15 hours per day. Figuring the day length at the latitudes Mexican Pinguicula grow in the wild their day length varies just a little from season to season - - - I chose 15 hours because it is a little longer than the longest day they would experience in nature, and to give them a little more light. Curious, this does not ensure summer leaf form.

Fernando, if you read this please let me know if you took any light measurements of the plants natural habitats.

------------------------------

Here is a photographic example of what I am talking about:

Before - plant as grown under my conditions:
p_agnataXgypsicola_AA1.jpg

Later - the same plant after 2 weeks in a bright, not direct sun, window:
p_agnata_x_gypsicola_low_light.jpg

You may notice that initially the plant was in bloom. However, after getting a severely reduced input of light, the plant has split its crown and is blooming much more profusely. Seems to me like a response to less than optimal growing conditions as a survival mechanism.

Some of healthiest agnata x gypsicola plants I have seen, were grown by Leo Song: Photo from Larry's Website
These plants were in a rather dark corner with very little direct sun, if any at all. There was some flourescent tubes situated 3 or 4ft above the plants, but I doubt these provided much light. Some of these plants were up to 3in in diameter in their winter rosette(notice the numerous dry summer leaves). I can only imagine their size during the summer. Most of the plants were growing on the side of the pot, some as epiphytes!
The most impressive display of Pinguicula in flower has be from Oliver Gluch's collectionOliver Gluch's collection from A World of Pinguicula
Most of the plants seem to have very green leaves, even some of the laueana plants.

i can grow Pinguicula gypsicola year round wet, pingman? you learn something new everyday
smile.gif
i'll have to try that sometime.

Back