What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterwort plantlets

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have had a P. primuliflora for a year now. It has flowered and produced plantlets. It has been my observation that the plantlets that have been separated and growing indepently from the mother plant are smaller and not as green as the ones still attached. Is this normal?

Yes, perhaps this is normal. I would feed them a tiny amount of powdered, freeze-dried bloodworms. Very tiny amount. It should help them to grow and get greener.

Thanx!

Hey Jim!  I've noticed the same thing with my primuliflora. It would appear that the attached plantlets have the added advantage of still receiving nutrition directly from "mom".  I like the idea of the dried bloodworms for the "prodigal" plants. I've noticed that once the roots of the separated plantlets become established their growth seems to take off quickly.

But does the prodigal return?  
smile_m_32.gif

i have tons of Primuliflora growing
they clump like crazy and no matter if they are attached to mom or not, they flourish ^^
although primuliflora is considered a beginers pings, its not as easy to take care of as it seems
just my experience
Hellz

I couldn't agree more! Primuliflora can be extremely temperamental. This last bunch I purchased at a Frank's Nursery. They had been cooped up in their domed pots for who knows how long. During repotting I got sidetracked for a moment and in 10 short minutes they shrivled down to quarter-sized tissue paper. I've never had any other plant do that before. The story does have a happy ending though. All three plants rebounded after three weeks in their new terrarium. The "prodigals" did return in this story Mr. Scott.
blues.gif

To mix a metaphor and borrow from Star Trek, "fascinating." (Spock's line).They also protest when dropped, buttered side down. I speak from experience!

I've done that too! It's a good thing there are no social workers for CPs.  
smile_m_32.gif
We'd be in trouble!

Several of us would be. Just the thought of the cp equivalent of social services, confiscating our plants for abuse / negelct. Hey, wait a miniute! That would be just about every department store or nursery that sells cp's!

Back