What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm about to give up entirely

I have tried time and time again to keep Ping's but everytime I am met with failure. My first bings I got around December of last year. They were P. Moranensis. Those were actually pretty hardy and survived for about 3 months and managed to even flower. However in a weeks time they seemingly disappeared into goo. Since then I have owned about 4-5 P. Primuliflora as those are pretty cheep and they are always being sold at Lowe's, Meijer etc. However I can't even keep those alive for a week! The first Primuliflora I got I tried to acclimate to a lower humidity. I swear the dang thing wilted in like 10 minutes. Then comes the next two which I decided to try and acclimate to a lower humidity by leaving the cover off for about 10 or so minutes only this time I filled a big bowl up with water and placed them in it in a hope the bowl would give them a little extra humidty. However those forwhatever reason died in about a week. I recently order some plants off the internet however there was a $25 minumum order so I said aw what the heck and bought another primuliflora. However I said aha! I will leave this in it's cover and place it in a shady spot in my yard... it of course turns brown in a week. So this is the last plant I will attempt to master. Yesterday I went out and bought another ping and currently have the cover on. How do I keep this thing alive, and acclimate it to living out doors? Humidity shouldn't be a problem as the humidity where I live is generally between 50%-60% + I live in a very humid part of Ohio but they wilt in a couple minutes if I take the cover off to try and acclimate them. If I leave the cover on the leaves turn brown and rot. If I take it off they wilt. It seems as if even if I leave the cover off fora minute or two and put it back on they seem to wilt and die in a day or two. If this plant dies I think I am just going to give up till I get a greenhouse or at least start from seed from now on...

what are your growing conditions? primuliflora are really sensitive to humidity, i've tried and tried and tried and can only grow mine inside a terrarium. it just wont live outside for me even with aclimation. i dont have any problems with other pings, though.

Like I've said the only 2 pings I have tried are 1 P. Moranensis which survived for a month or two and the rest are Primuliflora. The growing conditions? Most Primuliflora I've kept have the same soil that was in there pot (as they seem to die before I get to transplant them) So soil wise I am not really sure. As for light I have tried everything from heavily filtered to full sun and all the combinations in between which so far results in death. Humiditywise with the exception of 1 or 2 pings they have all had the plastic cover on or they wilt within 10 minutes of the cover being taken off which is generally fatal as even if I put the cover back on they are "dead by dawn" (nickle to whoever can guess where that quote is from". Essentially this is the plant of SATAN. I don't know what else to say though

maybe they are overheating for you? maybe your using the wrong water or something. i'm gonna assume that you know the basics so i wont list the all the stuff that someone can do wrong lol.

I`ve not had luck with primuliflora either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 28 2004,12:36)]maybe they are overheating for you? maybe your using the wrong water or something. i'm gonna assume that you know the basics so i wont list the all the stuff that someone can do wrong lol.
I originally though some were over heated, the outside ones, but even the ones kept in my house (with central air) died relatively quickly.AS for water I use distilled/rain water. Basically I figure Primuliflora has evolutionarily adapted a niche where it's sole purpose is to be a pain in the but for me so I have to keep buying more which equates to more primuliflora being produced. What tricky plants...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I recently had a primuliflora that dried up shortly after I got it. It seemed to be doing fine for a week then one by one the leaves started to go brown. I was not concerned cause I figured the plant would make plantlets like everyone says it does but all the leaves turned to mush or dried out before any plantlest formed.
smile_h_32.gif
What I would like to know is, is this species really supposed to be kept out of the sun or does it thrive in the sun? I kept mine in my kitchen where it would get only 1 to 2 hours of morning sunlight. Was that too much or too little sun?

ALLOSAURZ
I think you should get a P. Esseriana. This species thrives with only minimum care and in almost any conditions. It also reproduces like rodents, I started with 2 plants and now have 22. I have them in my livingroom windowsill and water them ever 2-3 days. My biggest one has produced a flower that's lasted about 2 weeks and it still looks as good as when it first oppened. Seriouly try this plant and you will never be disappointed with pings again.

This plant grows well for me in the shade(no direct sun, bright light). I would recommend keeping the humidity high.

I bought a primuliflora last August. I was essentially a newbie at the time. It has thrived by sitting on a window sill, either an east facing / morning sun location or south facing / blocked by trees. I have it in typical "open tray". It has produced many plantlets and flowers. I have also experienced shriveled up primuliflora - a different plant - and that was because of a significant change in its environment (temperature & humidity related). I have also experienced shriveled up sethos cuttings when I put them outside. They were doing just fine on a window sill. I believe the common denominator for my failure is too much of a change in environment in too short of a timeframe. Also, they have done just fine when kept indoors on window sills.

I have never counted the number of time that I was nearly to stop Pinguicula after a new disaster or the lost of a species.

Come on, never give up just read and try to understand the reason of this failure and try and try and try...

I said something similar my last time around with primuliflora. Jimscott seems to have hit it right on the head when he said it was too much change too quickly. Mine are now thriving in a loosely covered fish bowl on a north facing windowsill. You may want to try using 100% LFS about 3" deep. Make sure you wet it thoroughly before transplanting. This helps keep moisture near the plant. Every time I noticed leaf rot beginning I clipped off the affected portion immediately. The rot seems to spread when left unchecked but trimming prevented it from progressing on the leaf. Don't give up the ship just yet.....there's plenty of primuliflora "exorcists" to get you through.

Hmmmm. All mine live outdoors in full sun. I have P. carulea, macroceras, primuliflora, ionantha, planifolia, grandiflora, and lutea. All are doing well outdoors in full sun, but have a constantly moving water base that seems to help them thrive. Really wet conditions with running water seem to be something they love, so I stick to that, and have no problems with the plants.

Mine is on the windowsill. It has already flowered twice. I bought from A local garden center. I never do anything to keep the humidity high.

Some butterworts will do good on the windowsill, like JimScotts. Others will require much more water and humidity. Whatever their situation before you got them, you may never know. Jim Miller, who sees these regularly on his video outings, says the biggest and the best grow semi-acquatic, and reach sizes of 8" to 10" across. I have seen his video's, and there is no doubt about that. I am growing them semi-acquatically at first, then slowly let the water level drop so they can acclimate. The water levels on mine are always just under the leaf rosette when I am done acclimating, and they go crazy. The primuliflora that is the crux of this thread is 6" across under these conditions, and is very nice looking, as far as pings go. It is so happy in these conditions, that it has stopped the production of plantlets, to decrease its own competition for space. Pings can be funny critters.

Why are you buying primuliflora?
confused.gif
It may be popular, but its not that easy.
Moranensis is much easier in my opinion.
Dubi
cool.gif

Cuz It's there.

ohh i know exactly what grim is saying lol
primuliflora has always been easy for me, unless i let things go wrong. thats like saying "why not buy a sarr instead of a ceph?" i'll take the ceph anyday over a sarr because they're more challenging.

Ceph? Chalenging? No! My Ceph is on a windowsill under half a plastic bottle, its growing fast and vigourously. And pitchering lots.
smile.gif
I find that they have a few big pitchers and the rest are realatively small.

But, dont buy stuff just cos its there, I reccomend you buy a very easy ping from California carnivores.

eeek, dont mention competitors.

for many people cephs aren't that easy. mine are growins slowly but surely but who knows what they will do in 6 months.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 28 2004,5:52)]Ceph? Chalenging? No! My Ceph is on a windowsill under half a plastic bottle, its growing fast and vigourously. And pitchering lots.
smile.gif
I find that they have a few big pitchers and the rest are realatively small.

But, dont buy stuff just cos its there, I reccomend you buy a very easy ping from California carnivores.
I'm not gonna lie I am very bullheaded. And I also don't know when to take my hand out of the fire. But right now I forget who mentioned it but I am doing it. I am trying to drown this plant in hope that it will stay alive. I think I am just going to intentionally try to kill it because then they generally grow like crazy.

Back