What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just for reference

hello ,
for future reference if anyone here knows, i have been reading up on P.gigantea,
from what i've read i think it is the same as P.Ayautula ?
now know as Pinguicula agnata from CSUF.

or am i absurdly confused ?
hopefully they are all the same!!
because i have a P.gigantea AL3 that i got from cook's
he allways has such strong plants .

mine is growing in long fibered peat , it's not doing the best since i moved to AZ ( the leaves are smaller now )
i thought it would take off, they love heat and sun.
should i put it a more sandish media ?

any info would be gr8
thankx

P. agnata(Tamaulipas, Hidalgo...) and P. gigantea(Oaxaca) are two different species with close similarity as in the same subsection agnata.

Have a look here :
CLASSIFICATION PINGUICULA

P. sp. Ayautla is the name used in the past among amateurs to distinguish their plants before a publication. This is clearly related to the plants collected by A. Lau in the past and described later under the name P. gigantea

(we find the same habitude for growers with P. sp. Alfredae named P. medusina)

P. agnata from CSUF have glands on both side like P. gigantea. It seems that people doesn't know the origin of this plant. Joseph told that seedlings of P. gigantea seems to not have glands under. Is-it a subadult/adult stage ?

I am not sure that I have really answered your questions but one thing is sure that you mustn't mix your clones : P. gigantea 'AL3' must still be labelled like this, P. agnata from 'CSUF' but your P. from Ayautla if really looking as a P. gigantea can be changed for P. gigantea elsewhere you msut keep P. from Ayautla if looking like mine as a P. moranensis

confusing.. so i need to change "P. gigantea AL #3" on my growlist to "P. agnata from 'CSUF' "? will do, thanks!

Maybe I was not so clear. I will resume like this :
P. gigantea 'AL3' = P. gigantea 'AL3'
P. agnata from CSUF = P. agnata from CSUF !

The only change you could do (interest ?) is to use P. gigantea and P. agnata only without more precision

Thank you Verry much.
hopefully someday i'll get the other ones , and then start compareing them and experimenting

The leaves of P.agnata CSUF can become very red under strong lighting. I have never seen a gigantea with red leaves, only green and golden leaves.

i knew there was a diffrence btween them , thank you verry much.

now to save up some moola for them lol
do the flowers look diffrent aswell ?
i know that the csfu has fragrant flowers
but does the P.gigantea ?

i have AL3 , has anyone out there grown theres to flowerring size ?

Back