What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which are true species?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I received a bunch of pings from a friend and I am not certain as to what are true species and what are cultivar names. Could someone educate me? Here is a list:
George Sargent
John Rizzi
Moranensis
Ehleresiae
Esseriana
Sethos
Agnata

Also, what is a gypsicola? I have heard of it and have seen its beautiful flowers in pics.

True species are:

P. moranensis
P. ehlersiae (-e)
P. esseriana
P. agnata
P. gypsicola

True species names are written in lower letters!

Hybrids are:
Sethos
George Sargent
John Rizzi

Jan

P.S. Google is your friend
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ Sep. 09 2004,9:39)]True species are:

P. moranensis
P. ehlersiae (-e)
P. esseriana
P. agnata
P. gypsicola

True species names are written in lower letters!

Hybrids are:
Sethos
George Sargent
John Rizzi

Jan

P.S. Google is your friend
smile.gif
jimscott and JanW,

Actually:
Pinguicula 'Sethos'
Pinguicula 'George Sargent'
Pinguicula 'John RIzzi'

are cultivars (Cultivated Varieties), correctly written as above. Cultivars may or may not be of "hybrid" origins.

The use of capital letters inside of single quotes as demonstrated by Joseph is part of legitimate nomenclature, and a good reason why the form should always be used.  By using the form you show:

1) It is a Cultivar vs a species and

2) It has been legitimately published and registered

Please take the time and care to follow this format, and try to teach others to do so as well, it saves a lot of head scratching.

The use of itallics by Joseph is correct, but I feel it is acceptable to leave this off, provided the other usage is in place.

Will do. Thanx.

Ops. I wanted to write cultivar instead of hybrid...Only some cultivars are selected hybrids. A mistake I did in a hurry.

Jan

Back