What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'John Rizzi'

These stupid little flies were eating my Pinguicula 'John Rizzi' ! They ate a whole leaf and bits and pieces of others. And it was doing SO WELL in it's new terrarium! GRRR stupid gnats! No more dew or anything on it now. I sprayed Cleary on it to keep the flies away. And it's working. I just hope they don't come back anytime soon. I'll post a picture of it later. I'm gonna get like 14 flea collars and build a wall in front of my terrariums. >.< That'll show em!

Besides that I have a question. When should I make it go dormant? And what conditions should I give it? Less water that's all I know. What about temp drops and light?

im not sure but i think most pings dont really go through dormancy, just turn non-carnivorous, yeah dude i just got a really good ping from jeremiah, repooted it like 6 times, i swear this thing is invinsible

Sorry to hear of this:( Cleary will do nothing as this is a fungicide and I don`t think gnats are a fungus(even though there are fungus gnats Lol:laugh: )

The fungus gnat larvae is probably what is muching on your plant, not the flies.

Here's a hint - fungus gnats don't like laying eggs (or whatever) on sand. Put a layer of sand (2-4 grains thick is fine) on the medium your 'John Rizzi' is on. This will stop the larvae from muching on the leaves. They still may go for the roots though. Usually what I do is pull out the plant, and squash any larvae chewing on the roots. Squash any you see on the soil. Sprinkle medium with sand, and place plant back in.:;):

oh great I just ran out of sand too.

Oh, I know that Cleary probably won't do anything to the gnats but it might keep them from munching the leaves. Cuz..y'know it can't taste very good.

Back