What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to purchase pinguicula villosa and p. vu

Ha!  You people are slipping and I even posted photos of my handiwork showing the proximity of the stakes to the bog edge  :)

My husband took one look at what I had done and started laughing. He asked one simple question, "How did I intend to care for the plants once the chicken wire was up?"  Hmmm... the stakes are about a foot from the edge and there would have been no place for me to kneel down and weed let alone get in there to water them.  All of the stakes need to get pulled out of the ground and backed up at least a foot from where I currently have them placed.  Ugh!  

Hello BCK, thanks for that link. I was thinking more along the lines of actual fruit tree bird netting so it would drape over the top.  Your type may actually work better if I cut it out and lay it on top of the stakes. Seems to me that if a bird lands on a more rigid form of netting that it is less likely to get all tangled up.  Thanks again for the links.  

Hello Jerry, One question for you that I never considered.  If I do try to maintain a few CPs inside, do I need to start buying gut loaded crickets or fruit flies?  If so, I may need to revisit this as I am thinking I would NOT be interested in having fruit flies flying around the house with the holidays around the corner.  Stray crickets would be eaten by my indoor cats but the fruit flies would be another story.

Laura,
CPs will do fine without bugs. They get most of their food from photosynthesis. Last winter, my daughters house plants had a gnat infestation. I stuck my pings and dews in and around her plants and had the gnats pretty well eliminated after a month and my plants were well fed.
cool.gif

Hi BCK... gnats all gone huh?  Any chance an indoor plant might eat a few small whiney children? Just kidding.  No plants are coming inside this house. I tried a little bit of an experiment. I took a tray and filled it with gravel to see if it would stay level enough to center a planter in it. My intent was to later fill the gravel tray with water to create some humidity. I really only wanted to see what type of a tray would work best for the school before I bought a few. Anyway, I had placed another elongated dishpan type container in the middle filled with sand and sphagnum.  I walked away to answer the phone and when I came back, one of my biggest and fattest cats was squatting smack dab in the middle of the new planter going pee.  He filled the entire planter and I am amazed he was able to ram himself into that container.  I clapped my hands and Melvin jumped out of the planter and it tipped over spilling pee laden wet sand and sphagnum everywhere. Not the brightest move on my behalf while he was in the middle of the act of relieving himself. This is a sign from above that any plant that needs to be inside must go to the school or be able to be overwintered here outside.  Either that or I need chicken wire enclosures for inside the house too.

I know there was a post in here from somebody named Bonnie?  If Bonnie is out there, I'd like to try the ping she mentioned if she would be willing to allow me to compensate her for shipping and handling.  I don't quite know how to send a person a private message.  I only know how to reply to one.  I want that particular ping for myself though not the school.  I also want to try a Utricularia resupinata for myself personally and I do have the proper location for it and I do realize it is an aquatic.  Is there a special place here that I should go to ask for somebody to please share seed or a piece of a U. resupinata with me?

Hi Steve, I test pm'd you and I guess it didn't work.  Oh well.

My problem is solved!  Welcome to "Bog Ft. Knox"!

77698da5.jpg

Not the most attractive set up but it is functional and I will have space to move around to tend to the plants.  We do not have a "lid" on it yet but as soon as it stops raining, we'll take care of that. We also need to remove the wooden stakes.

Wrong, Laura. Worked just fine. I got called away.

Hi Laura,cps dont need to be feed(like BCK said),I have about 100 plants inside and I dont feed them anything,and no,my wife has not run me off yet
biggrin.gif
LOL

Jerry

If I had to contend with fruit flies again, I'd run myself off. We raised some praying mantids and the minute they drop out of their egg sac, they are ravenous. If you don't provide an immediate food source, they eat each other.  Ewwww ick!  I had no idea flightless fruitflies existed at the time so needless to say the house was loaded. I am very pleased to know CPs don't need "supplements" as the flightless fruitflies are considerably more expensive than the standard fruitflies.  Who knows, maybe the CP's that germinate over here will rid me of the few house flies and mosquitoes I have.

Today marks the second day in a row that I have not had to deal with a mess in that little bog.  No plants ripped up and therefore no casualties!  Yea!

Back