What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora

So while I was at the local Home Depot last week, I happened upon a healthy looking P. primuliflora and decided to buy it.  I planted it in a plastic pot, with a 50/50 peat/green sand mixture, bought some distilled water, and set it on a sunny windowsill that gets lots of morning light.  There aren't a lot of gnats and whatnot in our house, so I went out and got some frozen bloodworms and gave it its first feeding yesterday.  Therefore, some questions:  

1. Are frozen bloodworms adequate?  The store I went to didn't have freeze-dried bloodworms, which other people seem to be using.

2. I've been able to grow a lot of other plants on this windowsill, which is in the bathroom.  Pretty humid overall, between being in a bathroom and being in Central Texas - will my plant be happy here?

3. Do I have to worry about drafts?  IE, we occasionally leave a window in the other room open, and when it gets colder, the space by the window sill will get colder too.  Will this harm the plant?

4. Is there anything else that a fledling owner should know about this plant?  
smile.gif

Hi Sarilka and welcome to the forums! Check this topic and thread out. This will answer question (1):

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=14829

(2&3) Home Depot you say - and healthy? Hmmm... I work at Home Depot on Saturdays and have provided some advice on CP cultivation - that has largely been ignored. Anyways, MY primuliflora also came from a garden center - but NOT H.D. Shhh.... It has only known a window sill for it's 14 month existence in my clutches. It is kept open tray, been transplanted a few times, jostled, produced many flowers and plantlets - but is still alive and doing well. It is flowering as I write. As one of our moderators has stressed, these plants don't need to be coddled - unless, of course, they are in shock from mistreatment and/or transport. They came from the outside and have been rained upon, scorched, starved, thirsted, and been windblown. They can take a breeze.

(4) Your conditions are almost identical to mine - and I am a relative newbie. It should do fine - especially since it was in good condition from the get go. When this plant produces plantlets, don't be quick to sever its ties to its mom. I speak from experience. Severed plants don't do as well and don't grow nearly as fast as the ones left attached.

Good growing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 19 2004,5:01)](2&3) Home Depot you say - and healthy?
Yah, that's what I thought too - this was one of two plants (both pings) that didn't have nasty brown spots on them, or were obviously dying. The other ping was considerably smaller than mine, and I decided "bigger is better."

Although, PetFlyTrap.com is actually in my area, so I could very easily buy more plants from there. Basically, I just wanted to get something simple for my first plant - any sort of VFT or nepenthes I would get from someplace a little more reputable than H*D.
smile.gif

Did I mention that I still have plants purchased from H. D. that are still alive - for over a year? Ya just have to get them before they sit around and slowly die from neglect and then shock when ya bring them home. The four VFT's, P. primuliflora, D. spatulata, and the S. leucophyllas are still alive and eating. now which emoticon best describes my tone of voice? Hmmm,
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
Close enough.

Back