What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Important descovery!

Hi all,
I have descovered soemthign important about P. emarginata.
I acciently bent some leaves a while back.
Now, there are baby plants growing on each cut/bend.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Dino
cool.gif

yes, it's called leaf cutting... have you heard of it???
smile_l_32.gif

i think that is common on P. 'John Rizzi' and P. primuliflora, sounds cool, and like a great way to propagate, thanks for the info.

thye arnt leaf cuttings, Grim.
The leaf is STILL joined to the plant, it is simply snaped in the middle.
but is not detached from the plant.

Still a form of leaf cutting.

yep, happens with me all the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kayaker78 @ Nov. 09 2004,11:48)]Still a form of leaf cutting.
It is? *scratches head* the leaf is simply bent in the middle. and a baby plant iis growing on the bent part.
I will take a pic later.

The portion of the leaf that is after the break is acting as if it had been removed from the plant because it is no longer obtaining food/water from the plants roots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 10 2004,9:51)]The portion of the leaf that is after the break is acting as if it had been removed from the plant because it is no longer obtaining food/water from the plants roots.
Well the elaf can still obtain water from the plant.
I willt ka ea pic later.
smile_m_32.gif

You really should spell check for spelling spacing etc..

ok I will try this again.  If you bend the leaf and break it in a spot.  You cut the food and water supply to the leaf at that point.  The rest of the leaf that is unbroken will receive water and food yes.  However, water and nutrients flow primarily from the base of the leaf to the tip they do not flow well across from side to side.  Which is why the main vascular tissue runs primarily longitudinally with the direction of the leaf.  SOOO the portion of leaf that has had it's main vascular tissue broken is cut off from receiving supply from the roots.  It responds by acting like it has been removed from the plant entirely at the points where it is broken.

This is a very common method to propagate begonia. You slice across the main vascular vessels at various points and it promotes new plants to grow at the cut. Keeping the leaf attached to the main plant will help keep it alive a bit longer since it will still get a little water from the plant.

Tony

Back