What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula primuliflora

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a nice pot of Pinguicula primuliflora, photo taken 16 December 2004. Originally this was a spare empty pot (with media, but no plants). I had two small leaf-tip formed plantlets that needed a home. They were so small and weak I thought they would never survive. I planted them anyways - the photo only tells part of the story. I removed four seedpods from earlier flowers and cropped out one fresh flower to balance the photo (it was on the right - you can see its stalk up to the edge of the pot).

Right after this photo I pollinated all the mature flowers.</span>

p_primuliflora_b.jpg

easy to grow?
confused.gif
??? i cant grow it. ive got 4 other Pings doing wonderfully but i have killed several primuliflora. its on a list along side Venus flytraps of plants i just cant grow. i can grow harder stuff but give me something bomb proof and i will kill it.
smile_m_32.gif
great photo by the way!!!!!!

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a little tray of Pinguicula primuliflora plants started by collecting the leaf-tip plantlets from two plants and planting them together in a 3" wide x 4.5" long tray.</span>

group_primuliflora_a_web.jpg

Interjection: No Pinguicula pollen is visible in these photos. The yellow visible is strictly part of the corolla.

The dark specks peppering the leaves is a dusting of powdered freeze-dried mosquito larvae (plant food).

Very nice! My one atempt at prims failed even worse then darlingtonia(kept darrs alive for a year before but then let them freeze and they died)

>;-D , rattler_mt

I know what you're talking about I have two pots of cephs that are growing very well, but I can't keep a primuliflora alive for more than a few weeks and VFT die soon after that.

Does Pinguicula primuliflora need dormancy?

It's not a temperate species and does not form a hybernacula, neither is it a tropical species. Some people say that it needs a minimum kind of dormancy (simply a change of season). I put my S.E. USA Pinguicula into the refrigerator for a couple of months if they seem to slow down in their growth. Usually this only happens every 3rd or 4th year (sometimes it does not happen), but only to a few plants and not the majority.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](kept darrs alive for a year before but then let them freeze and they died)

If I understansd you correctly, your Darlingtonia died because of a freeze? If so, it must have gotten very very cold indeed for that to happen.

-Homer

I've had the same primuliflora plant residing on a window sill, open tray, for 16 months. It has produced many plantlets and flowers. It IS bombproof!

Yeah it frooze solid and died after growing realy well in the summer....I`ll have to give one another shot some day.

I can't grow pings for some reason, every attempt fail... I have found a way to keep them alive, plant them in pure lfs and feed them once in a while. I have never had sucess with primufolia's though after three attempts.

I can grow p.primuliflora with no problem, but its p.lutea that I kill!
mad.gif

Back