What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula ionantha

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a pot of Pinguicula ionantha in bloom. These I will soon pollinate.

p_ionantha_a_web.jpg

And a group of Pinguicula ionantha plantlets growing together in a tray:</span>

group_ionantha_a_web.jpg

Interjection: No Pinguicula pollen is visible in these photos. The yellow visible is strictly part of the corolla.

The dark specks peppering the leaves is a dusting of powdered freeze-dried mosquito larvae (plant food).

Very nice ionantha:) My G.sp.giant violacea is growing 2 flower stalks:)

Very nice! My ionantha flowers this time of year as well. It seems a photoperiod of less than 12.5 hours a day might trigger it to flower, but only in the Fall. While I'm on the subject, my primuliflora sent up a stalk at the same time earlier this month
smile.gif

Joseph, what duration of light are you giving your ionantha per day?

Homer

All my plants get 15 hrs/day of cool white fluorescent light, from 6pm to 9am. Some days each week I turn the lights on early to work with the plants.

The S.E. USA Pinguicula are in growth and bloom nearly continuously, just like the Mexican species and hybrids.

I must mention that Pinguicula gypsicola is finally blooming for me -- though I have never changed its environment to accomplish this even though I expected I would eventually need to do so.

6pm to 9am? Is that to keep the temps down since you live in a hot climate?
Gorgeous pics.
Cheers,

Joe

Yes, so I don't have to use electricity for air conditioning to counteract heat produced by using electricity for lighting.

Back