What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gypsicola

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here it is, my very first Pinguicula gypsicola flower bud.

p_gypsicola_a_web.jpg

This plant and my others are all growing under artificial light at 15 hrs/day.

Gorgeous. Am I the only one that ever thinks, "That's a sundew" whenever I see a pic of a nicely grown specimen, lol? The glands are so prominat on this species.
Joe, what is your compst for this one?

Cheers,

Joe

wow beautiful and so different from the other pings i have.........any chance you may have an extra one for trade in the spring when its warm enough to ship up here to the frozen north?? i bow to you growing expertice.........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 17 2004,11:52)]wow beautiful and so different from the other pings i have.........any chance you may have an extra one for trade in the spring when its warm enough to ship up here to the frozen north?? i bow to you growing expertice.........
If you are not good at growing pings I wouldnt reccomend getting one, they rot VERY easily.
A ping expert from CPUK got one, and it rotted on her despite over 11 years of growing pings.

yah never know. im really lucky in growing some things. like ive said before if its difficult to grow ive got a decent chance just dont send me anything bomb proof, it wont last through the month
smile_m_32.gif
anyways its just a passing thought, i would want anything shipped to me til April at the soonest so thats alot of time to think about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 17 2004,12:56)]yah never know. im really lucky in growing some things. like ive said before if its difficult to grow ive got a decent chance just dont send me anything bomb proof, it wont last through the month
smile_m_32.gif
anyways its just a passing thought, i would want anything shipped to me til April at the soonest so thats alot of time to think about it.
I really do think its a bad idea though.
If you get it, its very likely it will die and you will feel bad.
If you live up in the North, its probably a similar climate to here, and 95% of the time they dont last 6 months here.

to each there own starman but i am growing Darlingtonia quite successfully by not following any book or advice from growers. i tried that and killed one. i said the heck with it threw it in some straight peat, sat it in a tray of WARM water and it has tripled in size. the rule of growing plants is NOT EVERYTHING WORKS FOR EVERYONE. i have killed easy plants such as Venus flytraps and such but yah know what. some plants that have proved difficult for other far more experianced growers are darn near weeds for me. if Joseph decided that i didnt have enough experiance fine with me but Starman you have never seen my setup nor my plants so i think it is funny that you are judging my abilities. one of the reasons i asked is because in the title of this post it says: Pinguicula gypsicola, Easy to grow but not easy to flower.

Also dont forget Joseph lives in the desert, and I am amazed he can keep his wet all year round, try that here they rot away in winter. Joseph finds it easy, but up here in the North gypsicola is considered very hard.
Lots of things that Joseph can do cant be done here.
For example, Joseph grows his wet year round, I tried that and their roots rotted away.

actually Starman the Mexi Pings i have are kept wet year round. my humidity is not much higher than Josephs. we get more rain here on average than he does but not by much. you have to remember deserts can get cold too.

hmm strange, wonder why my Pinguicula gypsicola isn't dead yet, it's over one year now....
smile_l_32.gif

Bjørn in far far north.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Dec. 17 2004,11:30)]Gorgeous. Am I the only one that ever thinks, "That's a sundew" whenever I see a pic of a nicely grown specimen, lol? The glands are so prominat on this species.
 Joe, what is your compst for this one?

Cheers,

Joe
No, it DOES look very much like a sundew!

Joe,
This particular one is planted in 90%, 30 grit silica sand and 10% small coral particles of about the same size as the sand.

The first one I ever saw, in person, was at the "Plant Shop and Botanical Garden" in Reseda, CA. I thought it was a Drosera. Of course this was before I even knew of Pinguicula gypsicola.

Here is another angle of the same plant:

p_gypsicola_b_web.jpg

At last the flower:

p_gypsicola_flwr_b_web.jpg

Judith Finn at UC Berkeley Botanical Garden gave me one. I didn't want to kill it and passed it on to Peter D'Amato. He killed it instead, but not until a fairly successful three season growing lesson. His mistake was going on a short vacation, and letting someone other than his partner take care of it. Judith was very good with the Mexi-pings.

Gorgeous flower! I can`t wait till my mexi pings flower!(thanks Jim!) The potoseensis x agnata is already filled it`s 2 1\2 in. pot so maybe not too far off....:)

Update, the same plant several months later. Flower is gone but the plant now has two crowns and has really beefed up. Still in the same pot, but I put it into its own rocks glass so I could alternatively water it until the crown is sitting in water and let it dry down to 1 cm before I refill it to the top. I think I shall transplant more of my Pinguicula gypsicola into sand/coral media.

Photo taken with flash:
P_gypsicola_sand-coral_web.jpg

Hey Pingman,

Is the plantshop and Botanical gardens still around? I remember back in the early 90's making a drive to that place from San Diego to buy some plants. I was pretty dissapointed when I got there and found out they wanted something like 30 bucks for a S. flava that was maybe 4 years old at best. I do remember they had a very impressive pot of D. capensis.

I do believe they are no longer in business. The one in Reseda, CA. I did, however, locate a business called, "The Plant Shop" located in Reseda, CA. I do not know if it is related to the former business. I visited them twice in the 80's. They had plants you couldn't fine anywhere else, but are easily available now, and they were asking quite a lot.

Back