What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula mutant leaf

Hello
I rarely, if ever, post on the Ping forum, but here I am anyhoo!

A while back I purchased a large Pinguicula x 'Gina' (syn. 'Hans'). Eventually this plant made one of those mutant "pitcher" leaves, which Kit Halsted reported a while back.
I removed that leaf and am currently rooting it successfully with my usual Ping propagation tek (chuck 'em into the highland Neps' house onto LFS), and will report back on anything interesting that may happen (though I VERY highly doubt it) regarding the leaves it makes.

I'll take a pic of it later.
Cheers,

Amori

Here's what it looks like:
445Ping_Mutant.JPG

Amori

Wow that is cool. That looks like a ping trying to imitate a pitcher plant... hmm I wonder if that is how evolution like VFTs and Sarrs taks place.

cough(heliamphora)cough
(JK)

Thats awesome! Is it sticky?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Dec. 29 2004,1:40)]cough(heliamphora)cough
(JK)

Thats awesome! Is it sticky?
Now that you mention it you are right! It does look like a Heliamphora!Don't kno why it slipped my mind. Hopefully this characteristic stays in your cutting as I would like to hav a plant like that too.

that would be pretty cool, you know scientists predicted that the pitcher plant started somewhat like that

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thats awesome! Is it sticky?

It was, before I yanked it out of its parent. Before cleaning the leaf to propagate it, the interior was full of gnats, and mostly in the bottom half (the leaf was practically standing upright).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]cough(heliamphora)cough (JK)

Yeah, maybe it's just a strange Heli pitcher that I'm using as a hoax? Who knows? The only thing I can say to that is I don't have any Helis!
laugh.gif
I'll take a pic of it in about a week, by which time we should be able to see larger new growth (only green little stubs right now), and with a camera with better macro features.

Amori

thats pretty weird! I doubt it will be constant though:(

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I doubt it will be constant though
smile_h_32.gif

So do I. Either way, I now know this plant has genes (or more likely just the ability) that are capable of making these leaves. Cross it over and over with another mutant clone and see what happens.

Amori

Very cool! I too highly doubt that it will continue like that unless a genetic mutation occured,usually anomalies are just a "mess up" in the growth point.

Thats interesting that the gnats stayed down on the bottom and the leaf stayed upright. Who knows if it stays consistent then maybe with a few more mutations you could have the first pitcher plant in the family Lentibularicae! Hmmm...I wonder if it would still have to be in the genus Pingiculia?

Lol. I got my fingers crossed that you`re cutting grows some funky new pitcher plants:p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Dec. 29 2004,4:10)]Very cool! I too highly doubt that it will continue like that unless a genetic mutation occured,usually anomalies are just a "mess up" in the growth point.

Thats interesting that the gnats stayed down on the bottom and the leaf stayed upright. Who knows if it stays consistent then maybe with a few more mutations you could have the first pitcher plant in the family Lentibularicae! Hmmm...I wonder if it would still have to be in the genus Pingiculia?

Lol. I got my fingers crossed that you`re cutting grows some funky new pitcher plants:p
Nice!

Sarrapingia
smile_m_32.gif
Or Pinguicuamphora

They think this is how regular plants evolved into Sarracenia/Heliamphora

Imagine the price of that cutting on Ebay!

Shrek is gonna come looking for you if you don't give his ear back!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I thought it reminded me of something I've seen on the screen!

A leaf cutting I had about 3 weeks ago formed a new leaf shaped like that. I needed a magnifying glass to get a good look at it though
laugh.gif

P. 'Shrek'

P. 'Structurally Confused'
P. 'Heli Wannabe'
P. 'Greasy Funnel'

smile_n_32.gif

lol

Back