What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acclimating a ping

Hey, guys. How should I go about acclimating a ping from Lowe's to windowsill life? The ping is in one of the 2.5" cubes and seems to be quite healthy now, but I'd like to be able to take it out of its little terrarium and grow it open tray on a windowsill.

I've got one of these dying already and don't want to kill another one. My whole plan was to "save" a few plants from certain death sitting on the shelf at Lowe's. Help!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

What species did you rescue? Do you have a picture? Personally, I would place the ping on a sunny windowsill and water via the tray method. Top watering on occasion would be beneficial as well.

-Homer

It's most likely P. primuliflora. and it is from my experience that the only way to keep those little buggers alive is to grow them in undrained containers filled with long fibre sphagnum moss as semiaquatics. That's just my experience though.

I guess I have been fortunate with my SE USA pings. My primuliflora has been growing well in equal parts silica sand and peat moss with a high water table.

-Homer

Mine grows in a pot of sand and peat as well, but is sitting in olny 1/4" water.

Mine has done well open tray, by a window sill, for the past 14 months. Many flowers and plantlets. I water once a week, so it gets varied water levels. It is a mixture of sand and peat. Very low maintenance plant.

Almost definitely primuliflora. I got mine at Lowe's too. First, either burn drainage holes in the bottom (hold the tip of a screwdriver over a flame to heat it and then use the tip to melt holes in the bottom) of the Lowe's pot OR simply transfer it into a round plastic pot with drainage holes (use clean, fine sand/peat moss or fertilizer-free perlite/peat moss mixture) and tray water it distilled or pure rain water on a sunny windowsill, making sure the environment is fairly humid and temperate (around 70 degrees all year round) and it gets at least 10 hours of sun daily. Good luck!

hmm ive had mine in straight peat and wanted to repot it anyways, as far as silica sand goes isnt that just play sand? if nto where can i buy some?

Play sand has mixed reviews on our forum. The one constant about sand and other meda is to thoroughly wash it. Other suggestions were sandblasting sand and pool filter sand. I found a nearby pool supply place and got a 50 lb. bag for $5. Ther should be plenty of pool supply places on the Island.

Ace has good play sand, which I used for VFT seedlings a while back... but I would rather go with perlite for adult plants.. it's easier to trust.

Back