What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. vulgaris germination

I sowed some seeds of P. vulgaris without doing the studying up I should have and understand they need a stratification. I don't think 55-60F in my basement is enough (is it). What's the best course of action?

I'm no ping expert, but what I did to stratify Sarracenia seeds was to sow them on wet peat/sand mixture, spray them with a little Physan to retard fungal infection, cover them up with plastic wrap, and stick 'em in the fridge for 6 weeks.

They're germinating now, so I must've done something right.

Stratify the seeds for 3 months for vulgaris

Say eyedocbob, the P. villosa as well as the P. vulgaris happen to be plants that I want really bad. I spent a considerable amount of time checking up on these two plants and found several sources that indicated an eight week cold stratification period would be requisite. From all I have read, I doubt you have done any harm. If you have not already begun to cold stratify your seed, perhaps you might want to consider going the easy route.  Wet a paper towel and then wring it out so that it is damp, not moist. Place your seeds in the paper towel then place them in a zip lock baggie and toss them in your frig for 60 days. Best wishes to you. Given all that I have read on P. vulgaris, 55-60F in your basement may not be adequate.

Back