What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is what Pinguicula growing like weeds looks like.

Story:
1) I had several clones (species, hybrids, and cultivars) of Pinguicula that I had already created several small plantlets of by leaf pullings. I used some of these small plants to pull off many smaller leaves for propagation. I dropped the small leaves into ziploc baggies with a large pinch of slightly moist LFS.
2) I prepared groups of 15 -- 2 inch plastic pots by filling them 2/3 of the way with moist LFS, next I topped them with a previously prepared media mixture of 1/3 pulverized oak leaves, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 medium grade silica sand. I moistened the mix into a mud and cooked it in the microwave on high for 8 minutes. I let it cool down then squeezed excess water out of it.
3) After topping the pots with this mixture I dusted the surface with Trichoderma harzianum innoculum and then layed the leaves with their tiny beginning sprouts on the surface of each pot. Put the pots into individual 15 pot plastic trays, put them under the lights, kept them wet and waited.

Picture: some of those represented here, include; Pinguicula ‘Pirouette’, Pinguicula (A.L. #14), Pinguicula ehlersiae, Pinguicula rectifolia, Pinguicula laueana, Pinguicula (Yucca Do 1713), Pinguicula (Unidentified: BBA1), Pinguicula agnata, Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae, Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula oblongiloba, Pinguicula reticulata, Pinguicula ‘Mola’, Pinguicula ‘Tina’, and Pinguicula moranensis (Morelia).

PingWeeds.jpg

Thats incredible, how long before the leaf cuttings become flowering size?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

These have been in their community pots for about 5 weeks, some are beginning to form flower buds already.

I love your innovative inclinations! Have you tried crossing a butterwort with a VFT yet? A fellow named Seymour Krelborn created something interesting.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Though he had incredible results I would be afraid of getting similar results.

What kind of results did Seymour have?

for clarification, what is Trichoderma harzianum?

I looked it up, and I think it is a fungi

oh ok, like the stuff superimposedhope is always messing with

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 24 2005,9:04)]Though he had incredible results I would be afraid of getting similar results.
Know any vicious dentists or bosses?

Following are a few links to suppliers of the product Root Shield, which is Trichoderma harzianum:

Fogbeltgrowers Root Shield

Gardener's Supply Root Shield

BioWorks Root Shield

Some of the things it is supposed to do include, infect the plants roots in a symbiotic way and protect them from attack by pathogenic fungi and bacteria. It is also supposed to act as an extension of the plants own root system and transport essential nutrients to the plants roots.

I use crushed oak leaves as part or my ceph mix. Never thought about trying it with pings. I guess it works.

What exactly do the crushed oak leaves contribute to the mix? Drainage and nutrients?

Some additions would include; tannic acid, humic acid, sulfur, other minerals, etc. A base where beneficial microorganizms could grow.

Taking a cue from Eric in Paris, http://pinguicula.org, I have been working on using media with more mineral ingredients and less organic. So, look for my report of these experiences to be posted in the near future.

I have a bald cypress tree in my yard.  The leaves have a high tannic acid content.  Would it be benificial to add them to my 50/50 peat/silica sand Ping mix?

Sure, I would give them a try, just start with an expendable plant and use just a few to start.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I looked it up, and I think it is a fungi
that should be "fungus". fungus is singular, fungi is plural. that's like saying I looked up and I think it's a cows.
lol
smile_n_32.gif

Back