What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two new incredible species from cuba

S.J. Casper described these two species from Cuba :

Pinguicula bissei with reddish to white flowers

P_bissei_rosette.jpg

P_bissei_flowers.jpg

and Pinguicula caryophyllacea close to P. benedicta with pink to deep red flowers.

P_caryophyllacea_flowers2.jpg

P_caryophyllacea_flowers.jpg

Pictures by R.Mangelsdorff

Nice. Are there any better pictures?

Beautiful!!

Has anyone introduced them to cultivation? I am going to have to add those to my want/spend the next 5 years hunting for list.

My my my!!! I can't wait for those species becoming available to growers!

Gorgeous! Another red-flowered ping(or is there others besides P. laueana?).
I am not sure on how to ask this w/o sounding ignorant, but how are visitor relations to Cuba these days? Cuba is not real big and it's very close to the US, so how did these remain hiddend for so long?

Cheers,

Joe

Hello Eric!!

What fantastic news!! I can't believe they found anotehr 2 species of Pings in Cuba. Wasn't it just last year that another 2 new species were published?? What amazing diversity of this genus is being uncovered on that island. And finally another red-flowered Ping species! What a beauty! As for the other species, the flowers are also fantastic, those evenly-shaped petals remind me of P.heterophylla or P.filifolia. If you have an electronic copy of the paper, please send it to me Eric!

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 01 2005,2:19)]how are visitor relations to Cuba these days?
Cuba is VERY happy to have your tourism dollars.

Unfortunately, if you're American, it is still illegal to travel/trade there.  But I recall reading an article (I think in Newsweek) about Americans going to Cuba via Canada or Mexico, and how the Cubans very accomodatingly did not stamp their passports, and had "specially labeled" cigars and rum designed to pass US customs without problem.

Thanks for the pictures! Where were they published?

Isn't P. utriculariodes supposed to have a red flower?

Wow very beutiful! That red is absolutely stunning!

*mouth wide open* Tres jolie!

The flowers of P.utricularioides were described by McDougall (the guy who collected them back in the 50's) as "scarlet-red". For some reason I had in my mind that it was more like the color of P.crassifolia, which like P.laueana is very close to P.utricularioides. But it sounds like it is actually intermediate between P.crassifolia and P.laueana.

When I visited the P.laueana site last April, we did find a few flowers which could be called scarlet I guess. Check out this picture on Eric's website which I took of P.laueana last year.

http://a-world-of-pinguicula.webheberg.com/Fernand....HR).jpg

Check out the flower on the lower right. This is probably close to the flower color of P.ruticularioides. Wow, it sure must be a fantastic plant, I wonder when somebody is gonna finally return to the Sierra Azul to photograph this species and hopefully introduce it to cultivation...

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

I'm not sure if I missed it--what was the article reference on these beauties??

Curiously, Mike

So, what is the species count from Cuba?
I am still amazed at all of this(for as long as I have been into CP). Is it's climate very similar to Mexico to have so many species in small niches(I assume they are in small niches)?
Are there poorly botanized Caribbean islands awaiting future treasures? God, I can think of worse palces to go botanizing, lol!

Cheers,

Joe

Oh wow ANOTHER Ping with deep red flowers! looks like the crown that P.laueana has for being the reddest ping around is under threat....

When are they coming into cultivation? I cant wait to ge tmy hands on the red one!
smile.gif

The count is :
P. filifolia
P. albida
P. jackii
(extinct ?)
P. jaraguana
P. infundibuliformis
P. caryophyllacea
P. bissei
P. benedicta
P. lignicola
P. cubensis

and maybe others waiting for their discover

Not bad for a "small" island isn't it

In culture : P. filifolia, P. albida, P. benedicta (in a german amateur collection only) and P. bissei (due to law restrictions between Cuba and Germany, only in Jena botanical garden and maybe herborized since).

Who planed to go there ?

Back