What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating Pinguicula 'Sethos'

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
P_Sethos_2inch.jpg

They fit, that is, until they start to bloom!

Hi Pinguiculaman,

Are you also using a humidifier for these plants? I imagine that the carpet would make the humidity quite low. The plants,however, are looking good!

This setup is on the floor in the bedroom adjacent to the plant room. The only thing I've done to accomodate the plants in this room is to set the lights on the top edges of their plastic trays. I keep about 2cm of water in the trays most of the time.

What do you do with all those plants?

Sell or trade them?

How far away do you have the lights?

My wife has sold some on eBay and I trade them, and yes, I did give away several dozen a while back.

This batch is planted in 1/3 pumice, 1/3 coarse silica sand, and 1/3 granulated peat moss. I find this cultivar is not very particular about growing media. I've grown it in many combinations, even without media sitting in shallow water in a plastic saucer.

The lights are within 2 inches of the plants. The dark upper portion of the photo, where the caption is, is the shop light fixture.

It seems to be a "secret" for some reason, but pings grow really well under a pair of cool white bulbs. Better than any other cp , at least as far as I have noticed.
What size Sterilite containers are those?
Very nice, Joe.
Cheers,

Joe

Overall how long did it take you to propagate? How many leaf cuttings did you take? How many plants did you originally start off with?

The Griffin > This is the Sterilite container I used in this instance:

Sterlite_1642_Label_web.jpg

Sterlite_1642_Box_web.jpg

- - - - - -

ALLOSAURZ > Several years ago I started with one I received by trade. I kept it in a ziploc bag with a little LFS in the bottom (no pot), clothes-pinned to a fluorescent fixture for about 18 months. When it was blooming I opened the top of the bag so the flower could open freely. Then as I potted this lone plant I removed most of its older leaves, about 15. I kept those in a ziploc bag with a little slightly moist LFS. After small plantlets had formed, I removed them, planted them together in a community pot and then returned the leaves to the ziploc to form more plants. This was my first practice at propapgating Pinguicula 'Sethos'.

- - - - - -

These trays of individually potted plants were transplanted from this community tray about 4 weeks ago:

p_Sethos_community_group_web.jpg

Here is a close-up of one of the three trays shown earlier in this thread. The photo was taken using flash lighting:

p_Sethos_group_web_2b.jpg

I should do that. Oh well I will continue to use "winter leaves"

I generally get almost zero "winter leaves" under my growing conditions, so waiting for them before I propagate, would, essentially, leave me nothing to propagate.

I find that leaves from small to medium size plantlets are, at least, "just as good". This way, the more I propagate, the more I have to propagate more with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 09 2005,9:43)]It seems to be a "secret" for some reason, but pings grow really well under a pair of cool white bulbs. Better than any other cp , at least as far as I have noticed.
 What size Sterilite containers are those?
 Very nice, Joe.
 Cheers,

Joe
I certainly noticed that my P. primuliflora have been doing EXTREMELY well since I built my indoor greenhouse.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 14 2005,10:17)]I certainly noticed that my P. primuliflora have been doing EXTREMELY well since I built my indoor greenhouse.
but they are weird......one minute they are dead the next they are growing like mad

it's the reverse for me

I can not find cool light bulbs.  I can find a proliferation of warm light bulbs but I can't find the cool that fit into regular clamp and goose neck lighting fixtures. What chain stores are selling them please. It certainly isn't WalMart.

I feel so deprived!  I suppose your WalMart has pumics stone too?

Back