User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pink leaved ping questions and misc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don;t seem to like terrariums, contrary to popular belief. I grow all mine onthe windowsill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only built one terrarium recently. It belongs to a friend of mine. She keeps her CP collection in it. It has 6 -> 10 watt cool white compact flash lights and 2 -> 20 watt warm white compact fluorescent lights. All lights are mounted on a top cover board painted reflective white and the bottom, back, and ends are coated with reflective mylar film. She has each different plant in individual saucers. The terrarium is in a ten gallon aquarium tank. In this high light environment all her CP, Mexican Pinguicula included grow very well while sitting in saucers of water.

I think that one reason many terraria do not support good Pinguicula growth is that their levels of appropriate PAR spectrum photo radiation are too low and the duration not long enough.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link! That wasn't the one I originally ordered from but your place is a $1 a bag cheaper than what I recall so this will work very well for me.

I bought an architect style fixture as well as another clamp fixture (remind me to buy stock in lighting fixtures) today at WalMart as well as what I believe to be cool fluorescents to increase the lighting around my pings. I hope one 20 watt compact is enough supplemental lighting for them. I also picked up a few fans. What the heck, I was there and figured I might as well save myself a trip. Then I stopped over at PetSmart and picked up some nice "not so juicy" freezed dried bloodworms as well as koi pellets. My pings do not look big enough to supplement yet but figured I might as well have those on hand. While at PetSmart, I found flightless fruitflies. I bought those too and am waiting for my son who is interested in CPs to come home so that he can trap one under a clear solo cup and put it over one of my pings. He's been chomping at the bit to feed something and I doubt one fruit fly can do damage. Please tell me one fruit fly won't do damage?

Other than that, I'd still like to know if there is a list out there somewhere that provides the native range of tropical Pings?

I'd also like to know more about "moving air" and what constitutes same. My Pings are on a vanity in a bathroom. If I have to add a fan, I just happen to have one on hand to add.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn posted it earlier in this thread, it is Eric's Pinguicula Site.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I followed it and entered the growing tips section. I'll go back and check for native ranges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Native ranges are mapped under each individual species.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the proper area of the site now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12