What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. villosa and p. vulgaris

P. villosa and P. vulgaris

For some reason, veteran growers seem to raise an eyebrow every time I mention wanting these plants. I've read some on them and don't necessarily have a grasp as to why I sense so much anxiousness and trepidation in people questioning why I am interested in them and if I know how hard they are to grow.  Perhaps I am naive however exactly how hard are they to grow?

If I remember right you are up north so you should not have a problem. The nly problem is you have to stratify the seed for 3 months

Yes, I am up north but not that far north in that I am only about 45 minutes from Milwaukee. I wasn't thinking about seed but plants. Look at the native range of P. villosa. My thoughts are that this plant may have some very "unique" cultural requirements that I may not have stumbled across just yet. Not too many people growing either of these plants and there may be very valid reasons for this. Regarding seed of P. villosa... I'm getting the distinct impression that if I did have seed of that species, it's probably going to be a 6 month stratification prior to sowing.

http://www.itis.usda.gov/servlet....e=34434

vulgaris is fine if you ask me but villosa is very rare and from what Ive heard it can be very fussy. Hmmmmmmmm rather then live plants I reccomend you start with gemmea of the temperate varietis, a friend from CPUK forum sent me P.vulgaris gemmea(2 actually) but I lost one, the remaining one has opened up and is growing very well though.

Yes, I figured I could handle the vulgaris outside quite nicely. I suspect people might have thought I was going to try to grow that inside. It's the villosa I want that has a native range of Alaska that looks to be a tad bit trickier to me. Yes, I am aware there is villosa that is European in origin. That's not the one I am out there looking for though.

You heard the villosa was "very fussy".  You don't by any chance recall what you heard or from whom do you? I am thinking the Alaskan 6 months of 24 hour sun followed by 6 months of 24 hour darkness is going to come into play here.

bonjour

for the vulgaris ,it is very easy to grow this one ,here in europe she is usual
smile_m_32.gif
 you can growing datting from seeds or hibernaculae like you want.

if you want some hibernaculae or seeds tell me .

jeff 2

pinguicula

Well the vulgaris from the seed bank germinated nicely for me but then I mailed it off to someone up north since there was no way I could be able to grow it. I doubt I will be able to grow alpina or grandifolia either so if you want it I should have finished stratify it by September at which point I will trade it off.

what are you talking about tre?
grandiflora is even easier then vulgaris and the easiest temperate ping in cultivation!

hello at all

if you want for this autumn some european species, tell me ,I can swap with you.

for the temperate species , the buds are better than seeds , not for the quantity but for the speed blooming

excuse my english

jeff 2

i think your English is great!

Back