What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found this listing on ebay, "Pinguicula 'Sethos' is a registered cultivar of Pinguicula, common name Butterwort. Registered October 11, 1998 by Adrian Slack."

Does anyone know what specie this is? I am not at all familiar with pings and their cultivars. This is a link to the post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....72&rd=1

I thought it was a nice looking plant and maybe an easier one to grow. I have had some success with P. pumila and recently got a P. moranensis. I want to add a few Pings to my collection this year and want to find some easier species to start with.

I'm not certain it is a species, neccessarily. By my understanding, a cultivar can be derived from a species or a hybrid. P. 'Sethos' is not in the Savage Garden, but I've seen it for sale and in discussion so I know it's legit...
Perhaps you should try some of the carnivorous plant registries? I don't know their names off the top of my head, but if you did a little digging, perhaps at the CP FAQ, I'm sure you could find what you're looking for.
Good luck.
~Joe

= ehlersiae x moranensis (or moranensis x ehlersiae- can't remember which)

It is, as Seandew has mentioned, it is a cultivar derived from the hybrid of Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis.

See: CP Database entry for P. 'Sethos'

BTW, specie and species are two entirely different words with different meanings.

See:
Dictionary for specie

Species is the word that applies in this context.

I just checked "The Savage Garden" and Pinguicula 'Sethos' is indeed listed on page 211 of the 1998 paperback edition as a hybrid of Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae.  However, I am starting to realize that not all information in this book is accurate...

Hey Pingman, how close do you keep 'sethos' to the lights in order to get the nice coloring. Do you grow all of your Pings under artificial lighting? Also, it would seem that to bring that kind of color out, you would have to have the pings within a few inches of the florescent lights and that would interfere with flowering. Just curious, because I'm thinking about building a 4 tier grow chamber, and I would like to have one shelf dedicated to pings and dews.

Jason, i have a similar hybrid(same species used but its not 'Sethos') i have them 12 inches from 2 sets of 2(4 bulbs total) 4ft 32 Watt flourecent lights and mine color up nicely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ispahan @ Mar. 18 2005,5:52)]I just checked "The Savage Garden" and Pinguicula 'Sethos' is indeed listed on page 211 of the 1998 paperback edition as a hybrid of Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae.
Good eyes. I'm lazy - I just look in the index and if it's not there, it's not in the book.
~Joe

I agree with rattler_mt, they can be plenty colorful under fluorescents and don't really need to be as close as I keep them. I put them as close as an inch or two, but only when I am growing them from little starts until they have sized up. After that I just keep them about 8 - 16 inches from the lights.

Thank you all. My question has been answered as to its species. Yes I got sloppy. I appologize.
As to P. 'Sethos' ease of growing: Does it require a more complex regime (soil, temp, water, etc.) than say its parent P. moranensis or is it about the same?

Anyway great looking plants PinguiculaMan!

Same care as P.moranensis. I have yet to grow this plant,but I did recieve a 1\2 inch plantlet from Jerry(Thanks!) about 4 months ago,now it is 3 in. wide a very nice pink color and has 2 fflower stalks comeing up!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Well, maybe I'll see if I can get a hold of one of those at some point.
Hint Hint
smile.gif

PS. How do you get the little smiley faces to show up in your post. The actual picture not just the colons and what not?

I guess I answered my own question. The other night I tried it and just the colons and stuff showed up. I actually took classes in computer programming and they still drive me up the wall!
mad.gif

Back