Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula 'John Rizzi'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun. What you propose sounds sort of like locating a needle in a haystack. If for any reason you find that my 'John Rizzi' is properly identified and you would like seed, let me know how to collect the seed and I would be more than happy to do so for you and send it your way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant Laura has is the true 'John Rizzi'. She received it from me and I received it from John Rizzi himself. Her plant is currently in its winter rosette stage and preparing to divide. Her flowers will not continue to spread out like the other photos posted. I'm afraid what you guys have are Peter's 'John Rizzi' F2 selfings, not the pure one. In its full growth stage the leaves are very wide and the margins undulate. In strong light the leaves develop beautiful red veins, but the flowers are always perfectly round and around 1-1/2 to 2 inches diameter. I have around 60 flowers on my plants right now. It's too bad I don't own a digital camera.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil,
    Thanks for the info. You really should get a digital camera.

Shame on Peter for doing that [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] , he should know better, than to do that and not make sure it was noted.

Laura,
    Appreciate the offer, but most cultivars, especially of hybrid origin will never come true from seed. What would be needed is a couple of small winter leaves broken off at their connection with the stem. See my thread about Pinguicula 'Enigma'.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pingman - Peter is a great person and a close personal friend, but he does sometimes mix up his labels. Since the original clone cross was made by a hummingbird no one knows the parentage other than the P. moranensis being the seed parent the bird visited. What's your guess? I am thinking along the lines of P. moranensis x P. zecheri or P. hemiepiphytica.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I JUST can't bare to tear even so much as one leaf off of my plant. You have a lot of Pings, I only have what you see in the photos. No can do at this stage in the game. My baby would probably be screaming in pain as I ripped its little leaves off. All teasing aside, my hand would tremble and I'd probably have heart palpitations but if you want me to tear a leaf off... I will for you.

Say PinguiculaMan and adnedarn, do either of you know how to notify the webmaster over at the Humboldt photo site that a few of the photos listed under 'John Rizzi' are incorrect? That is my favorite CP site on all the web and I go there a lot and get lost clicking here and clicking there.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Laura, the person which runs that site is a member on this forum by the name of BobZ... I will contact him and link him to this topic... Mainly because I am pretty sure that I sent him a plant of this and would want him to keep up with what is decided with our clone of it.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil,
    Considering the shape of the flower, perhaps even Pinguicula agnata or Pinguicula gigantea.

No aspersions on Peter, it can and has happened to many of us. I have a tray of F2's, (Pinguicula 'Sethos' x self). I am afraid to distribute them until I have made my selections and registered them as cultivars.

I recently discovered that what I had received as Pinguicula 'Tina' was actually Pinguicula 'Gina' and vise versa. It seems that Pinguicula, especially the Mexican species and hybrids/cultivars are often confused. I actually received my Pinguicula 'Sethos' under the mistaken identification of Pinguicula 'Weser'. The CP Database didn't help much with this one, it has a photograph of a blooming Pinguiciula 'Sethos' under the description of Pinguicula 'Weser' [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Laura,
    Don't worry, I'm sure you will become an expert Pinguicula grower in no time at all.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naaa, philcula doesn't need a camera... he'd have to read the owner's manual and then he'd have to monkey around with all the settings and then he'd have less time to grow plants. I'll buy more plants from him after I get some experience under my belt and post photos of plants that come from him. The 'John Rizzi' was actually over and above my order. It was a total surprise when I opened up the box and found an extra plant. I was all but jumping up and down and my husband just shook his head as if I had lost it while I ran to the computer to go look it up at the Humboldt site.

Ha! Expert ping grower? Doubtful but you can all give me an A for effort.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast