What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pings with fragrant flowers?

Ok, I've just finished reading all of the posts on the Pinguicula forum starting at the very beginning.  Or, to be more honest, all of the posts on this forum related to the Mexican Pinguicula species and hybrids thereof.

However, no one ever seems to mention if any species or hybrids have scented flowers.  I have seen fragrant clones of Pinguicula agnata being mentioned on other websites and I hear that Pinguicula 'Titan' has scented flowers as well.

Can any of you confirm this first hand?  If so, what is the fragrance like?  

Curious in Chicago,
Corey

So far I've not noticed any obvious fragrance wafting from my Pinguicula blooms. Perhaps, partially because I don't think to check my Pinguicula blossoms for fragrance, though I should. I shall make a point to check them more regularly, it seems it would be an important issue when describing cultivars.

i dont know the only flower I've ever had was on my old P. enigma<span style='color:red'>[Edit: name should read; P. 'Enigma']</span> and it died in shipping

Leo Song describes one plant of P. "agnata" at CSUF:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One characteristic of the plant is the notable sweet honey-like fragrance of the flowers. No other species in our collection has this strong a fragrance. Other "agnatas" have a very slight to no fragrance.
For the full description, see:
http://biology.fullerton.edu/facilit....uf.html

Thanks for the link, Bob!  I would love to get my hands on one of these scented Pinguicula agnata clones, but it appears that they are not commercially available at the present time.  I have a thing for pleasantly scented flowers in general, and one with the bonus of carnivorous foliage would make my world go round  
smile.gif

Has anyone here ever grown the clone of P. agnata mentioned in Bob's link?

Ciao,
Corey

I have a couple of P. 'Titan' plants puting up flower after flower, I will check tomorrow if there is any scent to them.

Hi Jason:

Were you ever able to check on the fragrance of Pinguicula 'Titan'?  

Just curious,
Corey

I have a couple CSUF clone agnata plants blooming (like mad.) I'll see if I can smell anything from them.

I checked a newly opened flower last night. Allthough there is a slight fragrance, it's not very pronounced and not something I would consider pleasant. Almost a musty smell to it.

I checked my CSUF blooms. they have a very faint smell. Sort of like a violets with a hint of grape

Pyro, that is awesome!  I can't wait to try this cultivar.  Do you think it would be difficult to hybridize for fragrance among Pinguicula?  It obviously worked in the case of P. 'Titan', but according to Jason, the results are not so pleasant.  But fragrance, and perceptions thereof, is such a subjective thing to begin with.

Here is the P. 'Titan' I was referring to.  This thing is flowering like made.  There are 3 blooms open and 5 more on the way.

today10.jpg

Pyro, the Agnata you are referring to would not by any chance be the same one you sent me?

Wes,

It might be. Did I label it CSUF or fragrant flower??

Oh gracious! LOL... I don't think I could find that info even if I wanted to. I'm not sure I recall either being on the note you gave me, though I'm sure one of them was on there. I guess the only I can find out is to wait for it to flower again and smell it! LOL

Wes,

Does the plant has leaves that are sort of bluish/green?

If you look at the "seam" where the top of the leaf and the bottom of the leaf meet is it red (or red tinged?)

Does it form a winter rosette?

Is the flower fuzzy and basically white in colour with purple marks where the petals meet?

Ok, I'm gonna answere as best as I can.

Yes, it forms a winter rosette.
I can't answer the flower cause I missed every flower that opened(busy and outa town).
The winter rosettes are a bluish/green... I think, that's how they appear to me.
The others just plain can't answer cause I deleted my summer pics of the plant. I hope none of my answers are contradictory! LOL

Back