What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican ping roots

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
For some reason, my P. sethos<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to P. 'Sethos'. Please note that cultivar names are always capitalized and in single quotes.]</span> has numerous white roots straying above the media. Has anyone experienced this before?

One of the first signs of breking dormancy in Mexican pings is the thin white roots straying across the soil surface. Don't go mad with the watering yet, but a light moistening of the compost is fine.

Sounds like you could make some nice root cuttings at this time with a few of them.

Rob: Thanx!

Michelle: Funny you should say that... I just did - yesterday.

Rob:

Do these roots eventually go underground seeking moisture or do they stay along the soil surface?  

Michelle:

I didn't know that root cuttings could be taken of Mexican Pinguicula.  Is it possible that you meant leaf cuttings, or have I missed something?
smile.gif

Thanks,
Corey

Same question here. Has anyone ever used those tiny, thin, white roots of Mexican Pinguicula to propagate with? As a source of explants for tissue culture?

I glossed over that. I took leaf cuttings.

Joseph: That would then apply to my P. 'John Rizzi' & P. 'George Sargeant'? What do I do with my P. moranensis 'Superba'? Is it (Superba)? or Superba

Jim:

I am fairly certain that cultivar names do not have to be in italics, only in single quotes.  I think the two accepted standard formats are as follows:

Pinguicula 'Sethos'
Pinguicula cv. Sethos (cv=cultivar)

I don't remember if single quotes are necessary for the second format.  However, I much prefer the first format since it just seems so much more...I don't know...elegant!
smilie4.gif

Hope that helps,
Corey

Jimscott,
Pinguicula moranensis is a valid species name, but the "var. superba" is not, therefore I recommend treating it as a descriptor phrase by placing it in parentheses, e. g. Pinguicula moranensis (superba).

Corey,
Until just recently it was correct in cultivar terminology to use either; Pinguicula 'Sethos' or Pinguicula cv. Sethos. Presently only the former is correct terminology. I guess they are trying to narrow down our options, less chance of getting it wrong, or more, depending on your perspective.

To be honest, I have no idea if these roots go underground later. They are different from the regular, thicker summer roots, and my instinct is to guess that they don't penetrate the soil. By the time the summer rosette is there it kinda covers them all up and I've never actually looked to see if they're still there underneath.

Joseph: Thanks for the nomenclature education. I know you've worked real hard to educate us all.

Rob: Now I wonder if I could take cuttings of these roots and put them in water to see if anything becomes of them. (Maybe I'll put them in with the U. stygia!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob-Rah @ Mar. 24 2005,9:41)]One of the first signs of breking dormancy in Mexican pings is the thin white roots straying across the soil surface. Don't go mad with the watering yet, but a light moistening of the compost is fine.
For the most part, Mexican Pinguicula do not go "dormant", they just make leaves of a different shape and form. Though it could be argued that species like Pinguicula macrophylla do.

I was a little hesitant to say anything because I am not 100 % sure of the "dormancy" of Mexican Pings. I think I remember reading about the leaves becoming non-carnivorous. Maybe that is the time when some might refer to as being dormant?

The particular plant I have was not displaying non-carnivorous leaves when I received it. Concealed was an emerging flower stalk. Another followed. I wish I could say it has a pinkish hue, but my lighting is just window sill for now. Pictures are forthcoming.

Back