What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My leaf cuttings have buds!

Ok, this is probably old hat to most of you, but I am very pleased to state that my very first leaf cuttings of Mexican Pinguicula (the common but lovely Pinguicula moranensis, to be exact) appear to be forming buds.  I only put them down a week and a half ago, so I really was not expecting anything so soon.  However, when I was checking up on them just now, I noticed something a bit odd on the base of two leaves that I had not seen before, so I got out my magnifying glass and--sure enough!--they looked like tiny buds beginning to swell, exactly as I had seen in photos posted by others in this forum!  

I am so excited!  The other leaves in my propagation tray still show no signs of forming buds, but they are not rotting away yet, either, so I suppose it is just a matter of time.

Mexican Pinguicula are so cool!  
smile.gif

Corey

Cuttings of Mexican Pings seem to be very fast when it comes to budding and growing. Congratualtions on the cuttings!

I just checked my batch of cuttings again today.  Now all but two leaves in this batch are budding.  This is incredible.  And I have a couple of other batches of leaf cuttings that I put down from the Pinguicula 'Sethos' and the Pinguicula esseriana that I purchased off of e-Bay.  

This is my first time.  Aren't they all supposed to rot and die on the first try?  
smile.gif

I think I am soon going to have Mexican Pinguicula coming out of my ears!

Congratulations! You're a father! Got any Cubans? Rotting leaf cuttings that actuall produce new plants tend to be more the VFT's. Ping leaves, from my observation, tend to lose their color and become transcluscent.

Hi Jim:

No Cubans yet.  Most of them appear to be true epiphytes, so I am a little scared to try them at this point.  I have grown orchids (mainly Brassavola species) successfully for several years now, but something about a carnivorous epiphyte seems a bit intimidating.  How do you grow yours?

Corey

I have mine in a mix of sand and peat (no topdressing of LFS), right at a SE window sill. Generally, I add water once or twice a week, depending upon how much is lost to evaporation from sunlight. I try to vary the water level. None have a pinkish hue at the moment.

Back