What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'Gina'

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
P_Gina_2006.jpg

Last edited:
How absolutely adorable!

Pinguicula remind me of African Violets..... yours in a Mexican Violet!!!

fabulous!

nice plant; seems like a strange pot, am I wrong?

Chris

Yep, it is planted in a "votive candle" container. A globe of clear glass.

I love it! I personally would plant that way, but I still love it! LOL Those are beautiful flowers, and yes they remind me of an african violet.

Very nice, isn't it tought to water with out dousing the leaves?

I've never worried about that with any of my CP. Besides I keep the water level, most of the time, above the crown of the plant.

Well, I can't argue with your method. Your plants always look oustanding.

Balance is the most important ingredient; You can give plants quite a bit of water and fertilizer, but if you don't balance with enough light, air movement, and proper temperatures things can get ugly real quick.

I try to always keep in mind that CP, even in the wild, usually grow best where there is optimum light, less competition from other plants, and pathogenic organisms, are inhibited by strong light, especially the ultraviolet component.

So why in a vortive container? I have no doubt there was a method to the madness. Please share with me.

Votive. They are $1 apice. Nothing similar was cheaper.

I rather like the votive candle holder idea, especially since it would be great for display purposes.  But wouldn't it eventually constrict the growth of the foliage, or does this cultivar have an unusually compact rosette of leaves?  

Am I correct in thinking that Pinguicula 'Gina' has much longer peduncles (or bloom scapes) than P. 'Tina'?  At least that is the way it appears in the photos.  

I have to respectfully disagree with those who say that Pinguicula are reminiscent of African violets.  The Mexican Pinguicula species are much like African violets in that they both occur in similar habitats in the wild (though on different continents), both tend to grow rosettes of foliage and both can be propagated from leaves so easily it seems to be unbelievable.  However, most overbred modern Saintpaulia hybrids in my opinion are stiff, frumpish and artificial-looking and, at least to me, are just plain boring.  I have yet to see a hybrid Pinguicula that has not been graceful and refined in an artless, natural sort of way, rather like the "wildflower" species they were bred from.  That said, I am a big fan of the original Saintpaulia species since they have a wild grace and charm that is lacking in the modern cultivars, and they are very easy to grow.  Myabe I just like "wild" things...  
smile.gif

Back