What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prolific flowerer

This plant has been really fun.  I put it in a windowsill about a month ago and it has just gone crazy with flowers.  It was unlables but forum members identified it as P. 'Titan'  It has produced 4 flowers with 2 open now, and has 5 more on the way.  I don't know if all P. 'Titan' are this prolific or not, but it sure is a nice show.

Jason
titan2.jpg

Very nice looking plant. By chance can you show a photo of the flowers too?

Yah, those are gorgeous.

Thanks Pingman. BTW, I've never propogated Pings, I would like to propogate this plant. I've seen your propogation results and was wondering if you could give me a few tips on this one. I'm guessing that I should be able to pull a leaf off and stick it in a zip lock bag with some LFS. About how long before I should see some buds?

Jason

In my (very limited) experience, buds can form any time within 1-3 weeks, sometimes less and sometimes more depending on your conditions.  Of the species and cultivars I have tried so far, leaf cuttings of Pinguicula esseriana seems to bud within hours, whereas P. moranensis and P. 'Sethos' take about a week to a week and a half.  So far, the most stubborn about budding has been P. laueana.  After two and a half weeks, only two of the dozen or so leaves I put down show initial signs of budding whereas the others still look unchanged (though still plump and fresh).  Maybe that is just a fluke, though.  

In any case, when the leaves start to bud, everything happens very fast and it is fascinating to watch the process with a magnifying glass.      
smile.gif

What kind of light do you give the cutting?

Thanks again.

I try to keep the leaf cuttings out of strong light only because it causes condensation which can sometimes lead to premature rotting and loss of the leaves.

Looks good Jason! I'm going to be trying some leaf cuttings on some of my pings aswell very soon.. lets see what happens! ;)

-Jc

Back