What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uknown ping. hitchhiker.

This first picture is a pot of P. 'Titan' that has flowered and now has multiple crowns.  Out near the edge of the pot however is a Ping. that I  Believe to be a different species.  If I had to guess I would say P. primuliflora.  The second picture is a close up of the hitchhiker.

unknownping1.jpg

unknownping2.jpg

Looks like a small Pinguicula 'Titan' plant to me.

I suppose it's possible. The picture doesn't really show it, but the color is different, and the rolled leaf edges are not characteristic of the other P. 'Titan' plural that I have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] If I had to guess I would say P. primuliflora.

Doesn't look like the young primuliflora that I have sprouting up, but not a bad guess. Looks like another Mexian Ping to me.

Homer

I'm hardly the expert but from what I hear primuliflora doesnt reproduce from seeds easily, so it's hard to imagine how it had the chance to hitchhike, unless someone was growing the titan and another prim in the same medium then seperated them. Not an impossibility but seems like in this case the simplist explination should be the right one, the plants just making a planlet.

It could be a primuflora, i think its too young to guess right now, maybe you could take a photo when its bigger?

Here is a recent shot of some of my younger Pinguicula 'Titan' plants. With a little more light your plants leaves would get these highlights too. I think you can now see that the leaf shape of your "hitchhiker" is very normal for this cultivar.

Several years ago I received my initial plant of this cultivar from Ed Read. Since then I have propagated, traded, and sold about 60 of them. There is nothing wrong with your plants, most all Mexican Pinguicula are very morphogenic, they have an almost infinite number of phenotypes.

P_Titan_web_A2.jpg

Beautiful plant! How much light are you giving that plant in order for it to get the nice marroon highlights. Right now, I am giving my plants about 6 hours of direct sunlight a day and the rest indirect or bright shade.

15 hours/day of cool white (4100K) fluorescent lights. Eight - 40 watt lights between 2->8 inches from the plants, depending on plant position.

Hey Joseph

Although my pings are fairly close to their light source, I have often thought of moving them closer. But then when the plants flower, the scapes have nowhere to go. How do you handle this issue when lights are 2" away? Do you move them to a new location while flowering?

Yes, when they flower I put them on my top shelf where there are more lights, but farther away. Plenty of room for the flowers to grow and display.

you know the plastic fruit covered in glass beads around christmas to make it look wet?

thats what your Pinguicula remind me of, FANTASTIC!! truly awesome photo Joseph.

Back