What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora issues

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Just now I looked over the fluorescent tank and noticed something different about my P. primuliflora. There's a weird... grayness happening in the center, over a tiny area at the base of all the top-layer leaves, and I saw a single, very tiny whitish insect crawl across part of it. Not an aphid, because it was just this one, and it was smaller than an aphid. Plus, I know I've seen these before occasionally, crawling across the soil of some of my other CPs, and they never did any damage. The leaves are a healthy green, very dewy, but the weird thing is that it hasn't grown at all for several weeks, as if in suspended animation, and it looks like no water has been absorbed, as I haven't had to water it for weeks, and the soil has stayed at exactly the same level of moisture. And yet it quickly digested the drop of milk I gave it on Sunday. A few minutes ago, after analyzing for a minute or two, I thought "root rot" and flipped the tray upside-down and set the pot on top of it to drain out a little. That was my speculation.

It's just under a foot under a 24'' fluorescent, ~80 degrees and ~70% humidity. What's up?

Might be that it is too far away from the grow light. This is the only thing I could think of that might be wrong with it.

I don't think that's it, since it was moved into that tank only this past Sunday, so I don't think it's been in there long enough for that to take effect. Previously it was in a 10-gal about 7 inches under the light. Plus, since this is a bigger bulb (24'' as opposed to former 18''), it seems like it would be more powerful, therefore it seems like there wouldn't be much of a difference.

I'll go officially see how far it is from the light right now, although I really think that's irrevelent at this point... 15 inches.

I don't see how the light could really have anything to do with it.. seems like that would cause a different symptom. This is just a grayish/brownish (more gray than brown) area in the center at the base of all the top-level leaves.. they're not actually browning. And it's not mold.. it's not exactly fuzzy.

well........primulifloras never live for more then a few years(and thats if you get lucky) they produce plentlets and die off
Another thing I have heard is that they reproduce and live longer if grown in deep water, pure spaghnum moss and not given any direct sun(but bright shade)

Ah. It has a couple plantlets. I should probably keep it wetter, though.. anyway, the grayish is still there, but I swear one of the new leaves is actually a recent, growing new leaf.. so I'm pretty dang sure there's new growth. I'm gonna raise it and the D. adelae a few inches closer to the light today, just for the hell of it.

P. primufolia plant may not grow for more then a few years but it does produce quite a few plantlets so you will always have a mound of plants

Growth has resumed to a good speed now, and the grayishness is still there, but not as prominent, and there's now this weird fluorescent-yellow powder or somethin' on one of the leaves.

Whoever started that rumor about Pinguicula primuliflora only persisting for a few years is not completely accurate. I've been growing the same plants for almost 12 years now. I have also managed to propagate from leaf-tip plantlets and seed produced by self-pollination.

Back