What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora

I am reading many conflicting comments regarding the most appropriate soil, watering, and lighting conditions for this plant.

I was under the impression these plants could take a tremendous amount of water while they were growing without rotting. I was under the impression these plants could take a fair amount of morning sun but it was best to avoid direct afternoon sun. I was also under the impression these plants would grow best in a sphagnum/sand mix. Is this not correct?

Just to add to your confusion Laura, mine is growing in my south window where it gets sun from early afternoon to about 6 pm. And bright indirect sun until almost sunset. I keep the pot sitting in about an inch of water that I occasionally allow to dry out (read: I forget to water it
smile_m_32.gif
). The soil is a combination of leftovers from other batches of potting mix, so it's got a bit of sand mixed with peat and perlite, and maybe some LFS for seasoning. I'm not sure about the LFS, but I seem to recall having a little bit in it.

I have had mine grow successfuly in SE and SW window sills, open tray, watered twice a week, in a mix of sand & peat, topdressed with LFS. PAK has hers in more consistently wet conditions, as mentioned earlier in the week. I guess the key is mking sure that it is open tray, so as to avoid mold. They also don't like being disturbed, being less tolerant than Mexican pings.

I have mine growing almost floating in water in pure LFS...under grow lights. I let the water level drop some...then flood it again.

Hi Laura,
rememebr that P.primuliflora will always rot away and die after a period of time, wheather after months or a few years

Mine lives on my west-by-southwest porch where it gets direct sunlight from about 10 am to 5 pm and bright indirect light after that until sunset. It's in mostly peat and sand but who knows, there might be sphagnum in there too, I stopped paying attention halfway through the last time I repotted. There's live sphagnum in there with it. I used to have it nearly flooded all the time but I thought it was starting to rot, and my VFTs that share a tray with it didn't like the depth so now it's in about an inch to a half an inch of water and doing very well.
What triggers the production of leaf offsets? I'd like to see mine reproduce before it croaks.
~Joe

I grow mine in 2:1 Canadian sphagnum peat moss and perlite with moist soil, 15 inches from a 24-inch tube fluorescent. Gonna raise it and my D. adelae up a little closer to the light, though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 18 2005,8:48)]What triggers the production of leaf offsets? I'd like to see mine reproduce before it croaks.
~Joe
I can't say I KNOW the answer, but my observation is that it occurs in the oldest leaves. My guess is that it part of their survival to perpetuate themselves.

Mine must not have wanted to survive too much, because it died without producing leaflets. All the leaves just dropped off the stem, and it died.

..They dropped off the stem?? o_O

Yeah, I gave my sickly ping a poke one day, and the leaves just fell right off of it. Needless to say, it's dead now.

...Wow O_O

Back