What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora cuttings

Alright, I just got some primuliflora cuttings in the mail from Dewy (Thanks!) and I'm not attempting to root them. I have both of them sitting in peat, with the pot in water and a plastic bag over them. I have the pot sitting on an east-facing windowsill. Any other suggestions?

hpim06808na.jpg

hpim06819zz.jpg

Ya know... I'm not really sure how P. primuliflora leaf cuttings would fare. If it were Mexican Pings, I'd say you would have success. I've always perpetuated P. primuliflora through plantlets. I now just take Mexi-ping leaves and just plunk them in wet, live LFS, uncovered. Works very well. I'm a litle nervous about covering them, for fear of mold. I, personally would keep wet and uncovered. Wait for more responses.

Oh yeah! That's right, I've heard primuliflora do attract mold more than other pings. I'll leave them uncovored, just for tonight, and see how they are in the morning.

I left the bag off of them last night, and this morning they looked just as good as when I put them in. I'm a bit confused though, because in Savage Garden, it says to keep them moist and covered. I think I'll just leave the bag off.

Let me know what page that was on and when I get home, I'll check it out when I get home from work. I'm trying to determine that was a general statement or one specific for P. primuliflora.

Well, it wasn't specific, but it says to keep covered for Drosera cuttings, and pretty much every seed for every plant. The book didn't really say that much about primulaflora.

That's a good general rule of thumb. I am also having success by placing leaf cuttings on top of wet, live sphagnum - D. filiformis, two types of Mexican pings, and Cephalotus follicularis - uncovered.

Since primuliflora's succeptible to mold, though, I'm worried about covering it. It's been about 3 days so far uncovered, and the cuttings are still nice and green. I think I'll leave them uncovered.

UPDATE: leaves are still mostly green. It's been 15 days, but I don't see any plantlets yet. Should it have worked by now?

I say give it enough time to either produce plantlets or die trying. As long as you have greenery, it is worthwhile to continue.

Checked on them today, and found this! Little budlets!
budlets9pa.jpg

budlets22gw.jpg

By the way, the other cutting died. The worst part is that I forgot which one I put in superthrive! I guess the world will never know...

Cool, you're going to have a couple nice P. primulifloras!!! Nice work.

Capslock

Back