What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to find...

Hey, I'm new here and also pretty new to CPs. I got my first flytrap at the beginning of March (which is still with me) and since then, I've acquired a little bit of everything.

I really, really like utrics and pings. I'm currently growing only P. x 'Sethos'<span style='color:red'>Edit: There is no 'x' in cultivar names.</span>, but I'm in love with P. laueana and P. cyclosecta. Unfortunately, it seems like no one in the states really grows either of these plants (though I did find P. laueana at California Carnivores). Any ideas on where I can find these guys? Can I grow them alongside my 'Sethos'?

Thanks!

Hi ceasg and welcome to the forums! I didn't do an intensive search, but looked at topics that had the keywords in the topic title. I did a quick topic search and the things seem to center around CP2K for the laueana and Pinguiculaman as having both. Someone else also mentioned California Carnivores as place that sells it.

According to Savage Garden, P. laueana is comparable to a 'Sethos'. I didn't see P. cyclosecta listed.

What other butterworts and what bladderworts do you have? I'm sure that many of would be happy to share with you.

I had P. ehlersiae, but lost it (fungal infection), so only x 'Sethos' right now. :/ Fortunately, my 'Sethos' seems to be adjusting nicely in a more ventilated setting. I have pretty typical utrics, U. livida and U. sandersonii, which are also doing well.

Thanks for the welcome and info! This seems like a friendly and knowledgable place. I hope you're right about being able to find them, because it seems like all of the best plants are mainly cultivated in the UK and Europe.

Post a query in the Carnivorous Plant Trading Post section. Your fishing expedition may result in a catch.

You are free to check out my grow list. I have several mexi-pings and Utrics. Um... I don't have THE most extensive list, mind you, but if anything strikes your fancy, feel free to send me a PM about it.

Thanks to you both, I appreciate this a lot. I'll definitely check around when I'm sure I'm not going to lose this Ping and I get my bookshelf finished.

Okie -dokie!
smile.gif

Oh! Sorry!!!
I miss a points.

Best's Carnivorous ships to the US and I believe they have other locations where they grow plants. People have been happy with the plants they have received from them and they come with the proper paperwork. You should be fine ordering from them but please do ask around for more input so that you feel comfortable.

Welcome ceasg. Yes, I have both Pinguicula laueana and Pinguicula cyclosecta, several clones of each.

Hey Joseph... glad you're back! You have been missed.

I have added to my collection since you have been gone:

saracenia "excellens'
I now got two pingiculias Wesssers
I've got S Rubra vareashun gulfensis "All Green' from Okaloosa Co., FL coming
and then there was the addition of drosera Intermedia, pine Barrens, NJ

And shortly after you disappeared into thin air and left us all to fend for ourselves with our binomials, my aquatic Utrics flooded out during a few days of horrible storms in May and I lost:
U. Macrorrrrrrhiza
u. Poopurea
and I think I might have lost u. Aureaa but maybe it was U. Inflata.

I finally pitched the pot of what should have been my s. sittassina x Rubra Jonesii "anthrocyranin-freee' because it never did bounce back after being transplanted.  

Hey, don't be gone so long next time... who do we have to keep us in line?

Laura: BCP looks great, but they have a minimum order policy of 50 pounds, and no telling what the s/h and extra paperwork is going to cost. Thanks though, and I'll keep them in mind if I have no other options.

Pinguicula: Yay, somebody in the states grows them!
biggrin.gif
I doubt I'll have anything interesting to trade for a while, but if you sell them or could point me in the direction of someone who does, that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Back