What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust

Hello everyone  
smile.gif
, I grow my titan ping outside partially covered but it got some dust and random objects on itself from the air  
smile_n_32.gif
. It only has a bit of dust and I was wondering if I should mist the junk off it with distilled water  
smile.gif
. Unfortunately I don't have to camera to show you guys the ping but I was just wondering if the dust from regular soil can cause harm?

I live in southern california and I keep my ping under a tree  
smile_m_32.gif

Don't think it will cause any damage.

You could mist it off tho. Mine all get rained on quite a bit. Think every thing got about 1 1/2 inches last night. All the Pings look so clean with all the bugs washed off.

If the leaves are dirty and covered with dust, by all means clean them.  Pinguicula, just like any other green and photosynthesizing plants, need to "breathe", and they can't do so if all of their pores are clogged.  Just think how much we would like it if our own skin were smothered in dirt...
smile_m_32.gif

I would tend to agree with Ispahan. In addition to being unsightly and suffocating, if the dust contains organic matter, it can instigate a leaf infection if it becomes wet, especially on pings which have delicate leaves that are prone to such things.

if it contained organic matter .... why doesn't the ping dust... digest it?

There's lots of organic matter that I believe a CP can't digest, including, but not limited to: fingernails, hair, peat moss, plastics, wood, etc.
smile_m_32.gif

More seriously, I was thinking along the lines of dirt particles. These contain organic matter that can't be digested by CPs but can contain numerous bacteria and fungal spores that will readily germinate.

Back