What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have allways prefured pinguiculas over orchids, orchids are delicate plants that require alot of atention(i admire orchid growers, i have never been able to grow any orchid at all)and are in flower for about a month or two of the year, correct me if im wrong.
Pings are just as exquisite as orchids, some have extrordinary adaptations to there homes, some variaties continously flower, and there gorgous blooms compete with the beauty of orchids.
oh and they are very easy to cultivate and make perfect hous plants that elliminate fungus knats and other pests. Unfortunately they never look nice in normal plastic containers, if one has the savage garden, by peter d'amato, and she or he saw the beautifull creations(they are pictured growing out of abalone shells, lava rocks,and decorative ducks) one, just like me, would be inspired. I grow my p. sethos with to my 23 year old bonsai, and i once poted my p. esseriana which unfortionatly passed away in a N.x Manny hererra pitcher. So does any one grow there pings in a way other than the dull, ordinary, ever-so-boring plastic containers?

well, i don't grow them this way but i know some people use Tufa rock.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Aug. 03 2005,9:38)]I have allways prefured pinguiculas over orchids, orchids are delicate plants that require alot of atention(i admire orchid growers, i have never been able to grow any orchid at all)and are in flower for about a month or two of the year, correct me if im wrong.
Pings are just as exquisite as orchids, some have extrordinary adaptations to there homes, some variaties continously flower, and there gorgous blooms compete with the beauty of orchids.
oh and they are very easy to cultivate and make perfect hous plants that elliminate fungus knats and other pests. Unfortunately they never look nice in normal plastic containers, if one has the savage garden, by peter d'amato, and she or he saw the beautifull creations(they are pictured growing out of abalone shells, lava rocks,and decorative ducks) one, just like me, would be inspired. I grow my p. sethos with to my 23 year old bonsai, and i once poted my p. esseriana which unfortionatly passed away in a N.x Manny hererra pitcher. So does any one grow there pings in a way other than the dull, ordinary, ever-so-boring plastic containers?
Nicky, orchids arnt hard at all, esspecially Phaleanopsis <span style='color:red'>[Edit: Phalaenopsis]</span>
But if I remember you bought a Miltionopsis <span style='color:red'>[Edit: Miltoniopsis]</span>, these can be fussy(they dont grow for me either!!)
And if you grow orchids well they can flower up to 3 or 4 times a year witht he flowers lasting weeks each time, esspecially on Paphiopedilums <span style='color:red'>[Edit: Paphiopedilum]</span> and Phragmepediums <span style='color:red'>[Edit: Phragmipedium]</span>, where each flower lasts a few weeks but a new flower is only released when the old one starts to die, as a result they can be in flower for over 6 months. I know some people who have had them in flower for about 8.
You just need to learn how to grow orchids
smile_m_32.gif

I generally dont grow my Pings in any other special ways, but Im guessing they would do ok if you grow them in shells and stuff.....the only problem you would encounter is drainage

I use a lot of plastic pipette containers that I get from the lab in which I work:

P_John_Rizzi.thumb.jpg

We had a topic awhile back about alternative ways to grow Mexi-pings. one of the suggestions included the foam filters from fish tanks.

Greetings,

I live near high desert country here in S. Montana.  The land is covered with beautiful limestone rock outcrops.  I frequently find pieces of weathered, lichen covered limestone with holes in them. Next spring when I transplant my mexican pings, I will use some of these rocks as containers.  It should look very nice and natural.

Brian

Back