What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gelitin expiriment

propagating pings in gelo without eny added sugers, will it work?
i have put a leaf of one of my winter leafing ping into gelitin and water mixture, i hypothisise the gelo will let light pass give it miosture protection from pests but will it protect it from fungi?
this is very much like tissue culture but it is much simpler

any comments?

wont protect from fungi and you'll have alot of photosynthetic stolons inside the gel.

hmmm well i gues this isnt such a good idea after all.
confused.gif

ill just have to watch

Photosynthetic stolons? On Pinguicula ? ? ?

I doubt it will grow very fast... if at all. jell-o is basically pure protein. I don't think they can break down protein can they? (roots). without sugars or nutrients... i doubt it will work.

Ummm, photosynthetic stems. Please help me understand the connection here.

7santiago, please go ahead and try your experiment. It sounds like fun and you never know, one of your ping leaves might root. Why not try your experiment using a flavored brand of Jello. I'd love for you to share any results you have with me. Here are my thoughts on your experiment- if you don't take risks and get messy and make mistakes you will never learn anything. So gelatin isn't exactly sterile. Big deal because we all know it isn't nutrient boosted agar. You might end up with something way cooler than rooted ping leaves if you go ahead and try to root a leaf in gelatin. Fungal and bacterial colonies can be really exciting.

sorry. i could have swore you said something about utrics...

all but the leaf inside the gelo has roted

So, the jello itself is rotting but not the ping leaf? I guess it isn't over yet if the ping leaf itself hasn't rotted.

i think this is a horrible result, well the jello fermented, the leaf rotted and my mom thinks im drinking, kids dont try this at home.

alcohol driping out( into a cup zip lock bag where it shall be dispozed of)

the black dot in the center is the leaf and the colorfull dots are mold, fungi and bactierial colonies

*cry*

Well, I happen to like fungal and bacterial colonies. I must admit I would prefer to have had a growing ping leaf though. If you are in a position to post a photo of your jello that took on a "life" of its own, I'd love to see because 2-3 days to get to the type of colorful growth you described is pretty awesome. We used lime jello and ours is still sitting on the counter top and hasn't done anything yet except collect a few cat hairs, a stray piece of popcorn, and some dust.

Omigosh, Laura, you just described our apartment! All that is missing are the fruitflies!

Back