What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloe vera help

Hi, I had these plants for over a year and they wont send up offshoots.. There in miricale grow potting soil and they get watered twice a month. I dont know whats wrong, from what I read they split so much I should be having to give plants away.. Any Ideas - Thanks

aloes9sr.jpg

Ho Odin and welcome to the forums! I am no expert with aloe, but one of forum members does grow them and has distributed some to others. Try sending a PM to the one called Anoxos.

I have seven species of aloe and found that all of them best produce offshoots when a) they are not root-bound and b) when potted in a loose (e.g., 1:2 peat:perlite) mix. Also, the plants usually increase production of offshoots when given ample light--shoots are formed from underground stolons and the mother plant must invest a substantial amount of energy to produce them.

Both of your plants appear healthy and you should be proud! However, the plant in the white pot appears to be potbound. I would transplant it into a clay pot 2" wider using a loose mix.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your plants.

I had some a while back and they only got sun in the afternoon (west facing window) and they sent out an unheard of amount of offshoots.  Then the offshoots started sending out more offshoots, it was nuts.  I had mine planted in a big plastic pot full of cacti and succulent mix and I only watered when the soil was bone dry.  Try that.

-Rail

Thanks for the tips, Ill try repotting them in a looser soil.. (Theres a lamp near the plants that I always keep on, the plants are never in complete darkness I dont know if that matters.)

Yes, I agree, a loose potting soil, and a bigger pot!
smile.gif
I use a cactus mix cut with sand. Sorry I disn't see this sooner, but the advice you've had so far is right on. In my limited experience, the more room you give them to grow, the more offshoots they send. If you want baby plants, choose a larger shallower pot. The stolons don't need that much depth, compared to horizontal 'running room'.

Back