What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First flower!

A couple years ago (like 3 or four) I was walking around in Home Depot lookin' at the cacti, and I often noticed some pieces of cacti just sitting on the trays. So, I just took a couple and stuffed them in my pockets. One of them has grown a bit, and has made lots of little baby cacti around its base. And just last week, my mom noticed a little flower bud on it. Now, this is a bit strange, because it has been in the same little 2" clay pot with the same soil (not much either), and crammed with another type of cactus for 3 or four whole years. Plus, it has been growing on a north or north-east facing windowsill. So, don't ask me why it's flowering. I'll be sure to get some pics when it's open.

-Ben

More cacti grow in shade than we appreciate (usually under another plant like a bush or agave). It sounds as if you are doing ok with it anyway, perhaps it is time to try a few from seed..... I can't see where you are from but I'm sure some seed is available or if not try pollinating the flowers with pollen from another cactus or if none available use daisy pollen - this can often get some selfed seed to set.

Alternatively contact me and I can send some.

Best regards

Chris

Congrats! Cactus flowers are so cool. Before I started taking pictures of Drosera I considered cactus flowers elusive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So, I just took a couple and stuffed them in my pockets.

Just be aware that what you're describing is theft. Besides the fact that it can be extremely uncomfortable. I wouldn't let you into my plant room.

Peter

Oh. I never really thought of that as theft. Here, I'll explain. There are the usual plants in Home Depot growing in pots and the pots are placed on the trays. I would often notice pieces of cacti laying on the ground or fallen amongst the trays that had begun making roots. I thought since the pieces were so tiny and that they were no longer attached onto the main plants that the employees would throw them out anyways, since they couldn't sell them. So, I just picked up some, as if they were leaves on the ground. I never took much, and not very often either. I don't do this anymore and haven't done so since 3-4 years ago. Plus, I was like 9 years old. But, I suppose you could still call this theft. I just want you to know that I am not a theif, and I had no intentions of smuggling plants without purchasing them, since you cannot even pay for a piece of a cactus.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CactusChris @ April 06 2006,3:25)]More cacti grow in shade than we appreciate (usually under another plant like a bush or agave). It sounds as if you are doing ok with it anyway, perhaps it is time to try a few from seed..... I can't see where you are from but I'm sure some seed is available or if not try pollinating the flowers with pollen from another cactus or if none available use daisy pollen - this can often get some selfed seed to set.

Alternatively contact me and I can send some.

Best regards

Chris
Now that is interesting! Will that daisy thing work on Mammilaria matudae? I have a 1 which should bloom soon. Wonder if it will bloom with multiple heads ontop. 2 others are under my Grandmas care(the top parts of this cactus).

Here it is.
DSCN0423.jpg

Ben, I'm glad you don't do it anymore, and thank you also for not pretending its okay to do it.

Ny, that's a nice specimen you've got there.

Peter

Well, the flower bud grew a lot last night, so it should open up tomorrow or on sunday, hopefully.

-Ben

Well, sure enough it is beginning to open. I'll post a pic when it is. K, here are the pics. The plant at the left is the blooming one. There are two plants in the pot. Can anyone tell what species they are?

cactusbloom1web.jpg

cactusbloom2web.jpg

cactusbloom3web.jpg

-Ben

Can anyone identify it?

-Ben

Back