What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ahhh Mold!!!

neon-eon

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring li
I just got back from school and to my horror there was a light mold covering the dirt in a couple of my cactus pots. One pot, which, after the past month or so, hasn't sprouted anything yet, has a light white coating coating on it. The other pot, which has a couple two week old plants in it, has the same mold. Also, on parts of the dirt there are small orange molds. The mold seems to have appeared only in the places where the soil was last watered. I have been watering them, on average, about once a week in an attempt to get some more seeds to sprout. I'm using a cactus soil mix and I have a bright light above the window sill, which I turn off when I go to bed. Luckily, the plants haven't been affected by the mold yet. Again, I think the mold has something to do with watering but I'm not entirely sure. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the mold? I would scoop it out, but I don't want to bother any other seeds in the pots, and I'm not sure if that would solve the problem. Maybe, there's something I can buy to help get rid of it?

Any help for now or the future would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Hi neon-eon,
For future reference the more mineral mix as opposed to organic mix you use the less the mould will grow and it will also help if you sterilise the compost (in the microwave if need be, I do a big lot in the oven).
For now give a bit more ventilation, be patient and you may wnat to try sprinkling a bit of dry, fine sand over the top, just enough to cover the compost but not enough to cover the seedlings. Most importantly keep trying - usually spring sown seeds do better unless they are winter growers.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks, I will try that next time I grow cacti. As for now, I looked up info on the mold. It appears to be called saprophyte. From what I've read, it appears with over watering and cold tempuratures. My room has been getting colder lateley, so that along with my constant watering probably did it. I'm going to borrow a warm light bulp from my brother and see if I can dry out the mold. My cacti probably could use a little extra heat also. Hopefully that should do it. If not, I'll plant some more seeds and try doing what you said. At least now I know how to prevent it from happening.
again, thanks

-peace

Back