What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this Aloe?

• Thread starter abcat1993
  • Start date
Picture136.jpg

I got it from my aunt so I have no idea what it is or where she got it.

Looks like a sickly A. vera.

-Ben

Oh, that's it. Do they get big at least? I just figured out they were tropical, not desert, so that's why it looks bad.

lol dont worry about tropical conditions. I have tons of them in a huge bucket, there pretty much bomb proof. They spread quick too.

Yeah, believe me, they're not tropical. They do just fine without water for weeks.

-Ben

They are from Northern African and while that's north of the Tropic of Cancer don't let it freeze or anything.

Just because something is tropical doesn't mean it has to moist all the time by the way :)

Well, my room's normally at 65-80% humidity (65 at night, when door is open slightly, up to 85 during day when closed and warm outside) so it'll probably do pretty good now.

We had a small plant that we grew in the kitchen window for years in Maryland. When we moved out to the Phoenix area we planted it outside. It’s now a clump that measures about 4’ x4’ and about 2’ high (the bloom spikes can go up to 4'). It’s growing in clay/caliche soil and gets full sun for about the first half of the day. We never water it so it gets about 10” of rain a year – mainly in the Summer and Winter, and our afternoon relative humidity is in the low teens in the Summer and up to the thirties in the Winter.

Back