What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you overwinter your potted succulents?

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date

joossa

Aklys
Hi everyone. Since cold weather is right around the corner, I need to know how you guys overwinter your potted succulents. I don’t want to loose any of my babies due to frost.

I have a couple plants growing outside in full shade. Would you recommend that I just bring them inside next to a window and reduce watering?

Thanks for the help! :)

what kind of succulents are we talking about here?

I guess that info would have helped... I was asking about some Middle Eastern Aloe sp. and some Mexican Echeverias. I spoke to someone at a local nursery and he explained what to do... pretty easy.

Thanks!

Echeverias will be kind of tricky, they can "etioate to death" frighteningly fast. Most things can be treated as windowsill plants and won't mind less light if they are given less water/no fertilizer.

I've got to figure out where to put my 100 haworthias. I am in zone 7 so they have to come in soon before frost starts any day now.

Hey there Joel! I know this is an old post but... anywhooo... thought I'd post anyway.

A trick a "gardening coach" friend of mine had suggested is plastic + burlap + Christmas lights. The lights will protect them from frost by the extra heat they emit while under the plastic and the burlap can help serve to trap the air that will be like insulation! It will protect the plants from overnight frost... The plastic covering can also shield the plants from rain as well. Now, it's not death valley hot but a few degrees warmer to help the plants out. There's the large plastic tarps one can obtain from various garden centers/hardware stores. Just be sure not to use it year round cuz it can crack then things can get messy with plastic shards all over the place.

I am overwintering my stuff protected in a greenhouse and another outdoor structure. I am in zone 9, so it wont get too cold for me (its in the 50's now) but the recent rains up here were cause for concern since I couldn't move them right away. I've lost some succulents in the past few years due to the wet waterlogged soil when I couldn't move them in time... *sigh*

Back