What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pics

here are some pics of my cacti and succulents. They're all pretty small right now and I haven't had any of the ones shown very long. If you know the id's on any of them you can help me out by telling me. I know some of them but most are unidentified. Also sorry for the terrible pictures. guess i should have taken a photography class but the extra science cred i got instead will look good to colleges.

I like the seventh pot (if you go to left to right).

See i never did good with cactus they would stab me at which point i would get mad and make them dehydrated and die... it wasnt a good relationship at all

Capensis
That's probably my favorite too especially when the gasteria (in the front)was blooming. I really don't like the pot much though. I'm going to try and put them in a shallower decorative pot soon but there's supposed to be cactus show at a local nursery and I want to see if they have any other african succulents before I plant it up. I'll also probably put the sixth picturedplant in with them too. oh and maybe some devils backbone (not african but who cares). Ideas ideas

Bianchi914
sorry about your past dealings with cacti but you must have had to wait quite awhile to dehydrate them :-))

Yes it would take a while but it was a slow torture and they didnt enjoy it... i really dont know how i killed em but than i would go get a new one to come and stab me again

Nice plants. Except for the grafted cacti. I think all grafted cacti are unsightly.

I have a HUGE pot of the succulent in the bottom right hand corner of the picture, easiest and most forgiving plant I've ever grown. I've had it since I was 7 or 8. It's called a zebra plant or something, right?

It has sent out tons of offshoots and flower stalks that I've given to my family/friends. I know it must need transplanting but I really don't want to kill it after it has been growing so nicely after all these years. Is there any special method for transplanting them? Or is it just the basic take plant out of pot, place in new one with new soil?

That's Haworthia attenuata.

Go ahead and transplant it like any plant. Like you said, it's very forgiving. Succulents in general are pretty forgiving as long as you give them lots of light and not too much water.

Thanks.
I forgot to ask, what's a good soil mix for them? I cant remeber what I put it in when I got it.
-matt

There really not to picky just make it well draining. I personally use 1 part peat, 1 part soil no fertilizer added (fertilizer and lime don't mix well sometimes), 2 parts perlite, and a little lime to balance out pH. Sometimes i throw in some orchid mix too.

I use the premixed Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm, and Citrus Soil. The only downside is that is doesn't use enough perlite, IMO (some other people may think it's good to go as is). So, I just make a mixture that is 1 part of that and 1 part perlite, just for the extra drainage.

Back