What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Little Spikey Kids

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Well back at the begining of May i found some seeds i had in a unmarked ziplock that was stashed in the barn with some plant pots and such, i know they were old but took the chance and planted um anyways. I ended up with these spikey kids. They have since been repoted 2 times after they germinated.. I had moved them out to the GH and they are starting to color up nicely. Mainly with pinkish purple color and better green color. When i last repoted them i made sure to put the same kind into each pot. Whats funny is when they germinated they was just green looking leafs i wasnt sure what they were so i kept um more on the peat/sandy side. Top of the pots is desert sand and under is just peat/perlite/desert sand mix. They only get waterd once a week for now which i just did befour taking the pics.
I have 3 of these.
DSCF3275.jpg

I have 2 pots of these,
DSCF3273.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

I have 2 pots of these as well,
DSCF3271.jpg

and one pot with something else in it which i forgot to snap a pic of..:blush:

Wow i just now noticed that in the third pic pot there is 3 diffrent babies from the other 3.. There more green and have slightly diffrent spikes..

Those are very cute! Good job ;)

I would love to see you repot those.

Are not most Cacti notoriously s-l-o-w growers?
07confused.gif

Tracey,
I guess those kids feel neglected. You probably do not hug them enough and not tight enough to make them feel secure. :-))

D_muscipula, repotting is very easy with cactuses, 1. make sure your very very careful,
2. make sure to use tweezers, 3. use a magnifying glass or ones ol woman specks.. LOL!! and last but not least a knife with a skinny tip so as to get under around the very tiny short frail root systom. I use to grow all kinds diffrent cactus way back there very intresting and easy to grow. The 2 biggest mistakes in cactus is either over watering or not watering when you should. Next time i repot i will snap pics in the progress so you can see how i do it..

Fryster, most all cactus are slow growing but there is some cactus that grow at a fast rate, these babies were at first real slow to get there spikes and somewhat cactusy look, once they got a few spikes they took right off. Take for instance the tall skinny ones they grew faster than all the others and are still growing much faster, they were the first to germinate within a few days of sowing..

Steve, LMAO!!! You crack me up bud..:-)) :jester:

nice find! be interesting to see 'em grow up! the last pic maybe a pot full of barrel cacti? ? ?

fryster, i just got a dragonfruit cactus, and they apparently grow ~20 ft. of vine a year in warm climates! its a cactus too!

Awww just adorable!! How does one obtain cactus seeds?

Ive got a bigger version that looks like some of those I think...I got him 4 years ago...he had wiggly eyes glued to him (infact think he still has them) and I felt sorry for him as he was severely dry in the store and on sale. I cant wait for him to flower again! (ill have cactus questions here in a bit too... lol)

Now you say, people dont water them when they should or dont water enough....I when October hits I cut Mr. Cactus' water down to once a month and then when it comes to April I go back to once a week. Is that what you mean? Someone had told me a while back that because hes in a cold window that I shouldnt water him very often during the fall and winter.??? (Sorry to hijack the thread)

Little Spikey Kids UPDATE!!

I would love to see you repot those.

D_muscipula, looks like your gona be able to see pics of how i go about repotting these little spikey kids, i cant belive how fast they have grown so quickly, i have to repot them again. :0o: They have fastly out grown the pots there in right now there so big and now theres no room in the pots anymore for most of them, the tall ones are staying in there pots due to theres only one in each of those pots but the others i need to seperate to individual pots. They have gotting some really nice color to them now. I will be repotting them this one last time, no more repotting till next spring. I will snap lots pics in the process and post um up as soon as i do. I should get them done sometime this weekend. I have kept them in the green house at night under lights and then durring the morn and part of the afternoon they get full sun outside on a table, we have had some really cold nights here lately but now its warming up abit. Im gona have to make me a nice cactus grow chamber for when there in durring the winter months.

REPOTTING PICS COMMING SOON!!!!

Cute! Looks to me like the ones in the last few pics might be saguaro.
~Joe

Back